Taiwanese VS Mainland China tourists...

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Taiwanese VS Mainland China tourists...

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Curious,

I've noticed that there is a LOT of dislike on the Chinese (tourist/workers) in the KOW. It's like they are the new "ugly American" in todays world (yell at me, I'm American).

Question is do the Taiwanese people visiting in Cambodia act any differently than the people from the mainland? Any experiences?
What, Me worry?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Taiwanese VS Mainland China tourists...

Post by General Mackevili »

Isn't Taiwan just a part of China? :stir:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

General Mackevili wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:36 am Isn't Taiwan just a part of China? :stir:
If that is the case then I'll fit right in wearing this shirt in Snookyville... :)

What, Me worry?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I have worked in China and did not like it much (well, I liked the country but the people not so much). I then spent a couple of weeks in Taiwan and was pleasantly surprised. Apart from the fact that I did not realize how green the island is, people were considerably nicer, better behaved, and friendlier than their mainland cousins.

When it comes to tourists: well, groups of any nationality tend to be awful and the Taiwanese middle-aged visitors coming in large groups are no exception (and their dress sense leaves a lot to be desired).
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

The Taiwanese people I worked with were always angry when I called them "Chinese". So of course I kept calling them Chinese.

In my experience, Taiwanese customers are worlds better than mainlanders. My boss has been seconds away from putting up a "No Chinese" sign on the front door on multiple occasions.

IN terms of tourists though, I find most tourists are obnoxious. Yanks, Brits, East Asians, South Asians...etc...
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

dont think nationality plays an important part here but education, social upbringing n moral ethics does
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

bolueeleh wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:30 pm dont think nationality plays an important part here but education, social upbringing n moral ethics does
so does taiwan have better education,social upbringing and morals than china?

yes
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

bangkokhooker wrote:
bolueeleh wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:30 pm dont think nationality plays an important part here but education, social upbringing n moral ethics does
so does taiwan have better education,social upbringing and morals than china?

yes
Taiwan was a colony of Japan for a long time so a lot of Japanese traditions passed on. Also the population is highly educated and a lot hold dual citizenship with another western country.

So yes, they are better than the average mainlander.

Or as grandma used to say, don’t play with the dirty Chinese kids, stick with the nicely dressed and well mannered Japanese kids.

Of course grandma never spoke mandarin.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

dont think nationality plays an important part here but education, social upbringing n moral ethics does
your statement is somewhat oxymoronic.
i have friends and trading partners from singapore and many overseas chinese origins who i value- mostly for their mad sense of humor.
the prc folks suffer from 2 things- naive as travelers just like the yanks and aussies formerly were. then there is the imbalance of male to female ratio due to the 1 child policy.
it fosters aggressive behavior and gangsterism.
running dog stuff
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic