Vietnamese Man Stabbed during Cambodian-Vietnamese Argument

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Vietnamese Man Stabbed during Cambodian-Vietnamese Argument

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Koh Kong: On July 5, 2018, a 28 year old Vietnamese fisherman, Sok Nam, residing in Cambodia, was stabbed by a Cambodian man. They got into an argument while they were both out drinking.
The Vietnamese man took offense because at the next table to him, 3 Cambodians were talking about "Youn", a Khmer word for Vietnamese that is often perceived as perjorative. He said to them that the correct word was "Vietnamese". After they argued back and forth for a while, the Vietnamese man went over to the Cambodian table to make peace and stop the argument, but instead, one of the Cambodians pulled out a knife and stabbed the man six times.

The victim was seriously injured and was taken to hospital. The table of Cambodians left the scene before police arrived.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Vietnamese Man Stabbed during Cambodian-Vietnamese Argument

Post by bolueeleh »

vietnamese cambodian man with japanese tattoos fighting over vietnamese pride :D
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Pragmatist
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pragmatist »

A good viet/khmer friend told me last time that " youn " is the actual original word for vietnamese ppl in khmer language, nothing pejorative, it seems its western reporters who give the pejorative connotation to it.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Pragmatist wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:37 pm A good viet/khmer friend told me last time that " youn " is the actual original word for vietnamese ppl in khmer language, nothing pejorative, it seems its western reporters who give the pejorative connotation to it.
If you believe that, feel free to make a video of you calling Vietnamese border guards at Bavet yuon.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Pragmatist wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:37 pm A good viet/khmer friend told me last time that " youn " is the actual original word for vietnamese ppl in khmer language, nothing pejorative, it seems its western reporters who give the pejorative connotation to it.
It's all in the context. You won't often here "Aren't those Yuons doing a great job?", you're more likely to hear "Those fucking despicable Yuon running-dog bastards should all be kicked out of our country".
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pragmatist
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pragmatist »

that genius wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:53 pm
If you believe that, feel free to make a video of you calling Vietnamese border guards at Bavet yuon.
I never said ppl should use the word tho, thats just the ( i think ) knowledgeable advice of a decent and educated person who come from the both sides,
Obviously it has a pejorative sense nowadays as it the purpose of using it...... just think its interesting to see how a word can be take out of context.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Pragmatist wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:47 pm
that genius wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:53 pm
I never said ppl should use the word tho, thats just the ( i think ) knowledgeable advice of a decent and educated person who come from the both sides,
Obviously it has a pejorative sense nowadays as it the purpose of using it...... just think its interesting to see how a word can be take out of context.
Are you Sam Rainsy? He said the same thing
mushrooms
Tourist
United States of America

Post by mushrooms »

"Youn" may have been originally a pejorative during times long ago when the Vietnamese were a looming threat. It seems reasonable to call your enemies barbarians right? The original meaning of that word was lost to time. Most Cambodians do not know it is etymologically related to Yavana (barbarian).

The way Cambodians speak either word when nationalism is at hand, it comes off as very heavy handed. Sometimes, you can sense hatred in the way they say Youn (this applies to the word Siem also).

Now, to be politically correct, Cambodians have to change their language. This word is loaded and incites anger. Best to abandon it because it gets peoples' panties into a bunch.

Thailand has this word too. They used it for the Vietnamese but also use it for a Tai group too (Tai Yuan).
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

mushrooms wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:03 am Sometimes, you can sense hatred in the way they say Youn (this applies to the word Siem also).
It's funny though that Khmer still refers to themselves as Khmer and not Kampuchea
Don't forget the water buffalo
Cougar.hunter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cougar.hunter »

This is why when someone asked me "what are you?" I avoid telling them I am half Vietnamese XD
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic