What are your favorite mid-range Khmer restaurants?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

What are your favorite mid-range Khmer restaurants?

Post by Cam Nivag »

Excluding fly-infested streetside noodle shops and high end places like Malis, what are your favorite restaurants for good Khmer food in a pleasant atmosphere?

I just tried Khmer Sense a few days ago on Street 178. Good food, inexpensive (mains were $4.50 including rice), nice decor, but small portions.

Also went to Sugar Palm this week, it's in a nice old colonial building, excellent food, large portions, but more expensive (mains were $7-$8 and did not include rice). Didn't see any other customers, the upstairs location is probably a killer.

Pkaa Slaa on street 240 and 19 is very good. Kravanh near Hong Kong Center is good most of the time.

I've always liked Romdeng, though sometimes gets crowded with tour groups.

I was also impressed with Tummy Filler Cafe in Russian Market when I went there but that was over a year ago.

Any other suggestions for something similar?
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: What are your favorite mid-range Khmer restaurants?

Post by khmerhamster »

Cam Nivag wrote:Excluding fly-infested streetside noodle shops and high end places like Malis, what are your favorite restaurants for good Khmer food in a pleasant atmosphere?

I just tried Khmer Sense a few days ago on Street 178. Good food, inexpensive (mains were $4.50 including rice), nice decor, but small portions.

Also went to Sugar Palm this week, it's in a nice old colonial building, excellent food, large portions, but more expensive (mains were $7-$8 and did not include rice). Didn't see any other customers, the upstairs location is probably a killer.

Pkaa Slaa on street 240 and 19 is very good. Kravanh near Hong Kong Center is good most of the time.

I've always liked Romdeng, though sometimes gets crowded with tour groups.

I was also impressed with Tummy Filler Cafe in Russian Market when I went there but that was over a year ago.

Any other suggestions for something similar?
Eleven one kitchen in TTP has good, cheap Khmer food.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Thanks. Someone recommended this place to me yesterday too.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Sounds like you're going to Khmer restaurants that cater to tourists.

You need to try one of the numerous Beef Soup places around town.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

I've always enjoyed Boat Noodle on Sothearos, South of Sihanouk Blvd.

Nicely done traditional decor, wide ranging menu of traditional Khmer dishes. Traditional Western seating on the ground floor or you can impress your date with your cultural appropriation skills and opt to sit upstairs where it is the local on-your-ass seating with squared and triangular pillow arrangements tucked around a low-slung table.

There's everything from prahok paste and land-crab to lok lak and char kreung. And for the not so culinarily adventurous there's always the spring rolls and french fries.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Cam Nivag wrote:Thanks. Someone recommended this place to me yesterday too.
Also The Terrace has 3 or 4 restaurants in different locations. Very good food for $4-5 in a very pleasant restaurant setting.
Mostly around the TK area though, unless you are in the area it wouldn’t be worth travelling.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:04 pm Sounds like you're going to Khmer restaurants that cater to tourists.
Yes, Khmer restaurants for tourists and other white people. Not Khmer restaurants for Cambodians. They're a bit scruffy.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

There are loads in TTP. Two on St 123 up near 450. One on 135. Another on 155 down near 488. Explore and find. Only one is in what I would call a nice setting, the others are functional. 1 has aircon.

I also like kravanh in TTP.

Up in Daun Penh, I don't have any i recommend. I recently went to a very busy one near St 13 or something. Got a dodgy tummy afterwards. Not had that from anywhere else, including street sellers, in years
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

I like kravanh on sothearos (by wat botom towards the bottom) excellent Khmer food and well priced.

Also in TTP Nesat, if you like crab, done like the Kep style shacks but excellent quality
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:03 pm Thanks. Someone recommended this place to me yesterday too.
I wasn't a fan the one time I went. I'll give it another try.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic