Place to work online

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Place to work online

Post by walkjivefly »

Fibonacci wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 am Thanks to all of you for the answers!

Seems like its better to set up the first basement in PP and checking out the situation on weekend trips at other locations.

And thanks for the hint with the visa. Thought that was one of the easiest part. Talked to the embassy and explained them that my contract and the company i am working for is located in germany and i need a long term visa. the guy just said "no problem, go with passport and pic to the PP Immigration police and its done. you get a 12 month visum without restrictions about leaving and entering the country.

Thanks guys!
The embassy guy you spoke with is way behind (about 18 months) the times. The best you'll do now is an ordinary visa on arrival (30 days) and a 6-month EG extension of stay. Right now no-one knows for certain what you'll (be able to) get when your 7 months are up.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

Fibonacci wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:03 am Hey Guys,

i got unexpected the chance to work from another country and due to easier visum regulatory, I am interested to go to Cambodia. most people recommend to go to Sihanoukvillle or Koh Rong.

I have never been there [...]
I assume "I have never been there" refers to all of Cambodia and not just those two places.

Have you been to the S.E. Asia at least?

Apart from the visa reason, any other reasons why you have your eyes set on Asia and Cambodia?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Fibonacci wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 amSeems like its better to set up the first basement in PP Thanks guys!
Yeah, you will be flooded with applicants.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

Base! He meant base, lol.

To explain that genius's joke to you Fibonacci, cities and/or streets tend to flood in S.E. Asia in the rainy season, so a basement would be very unwise place to be in.
Fibonacci
Tourist
Guam

Post by Fibonacci »

Josh_76 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:53 pm
Fibonacci wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:03 am Hey Guys,

i got unexpected the chance to work from another country and due to easier visum regulatory, I am interested to go to Cambodia. most people recommend to go to Sihanoukvillle or Koh Rong.

I have never been there [...]
I assume "I have never been there" refers to all of Cambodia and not just those two places.

Have you been to the S.E. Asia at least?

Apart from the visa reason, any other reasons why you have your eyes set on Asia and Cambodia?
you are right, have never been in cambodia at all. last time travelling SEA was 3 years ago and only thailand. started travelling thailand 8 years ago and spent most of the time on islands.

this experience destroyed my life. i got sick of the corporate lifestyle i had, i am sick of the western countries and sick of 90 % of the people here. and i was fitting on the island like i never did before. one of the islands there would be my first choice, but getting long term visa for thailand looks something between stressfull and impossible.

the biggest point for cambodia is really the visa thing and the very positive descriptions of the island people i know from thailand and friends which travelled cambodia. but only as tourist, not expat. i dont want to afford the visa runs all the time. i am not coming with a huge salary or savings. salary is solid and the contract safe. so gives a bit of confidence.

the point is really, that i need a change in my life and this is the opportunity i was always waiting for. if i dont do it, i will always regret it. i am sure about that. unfortunatelly i really have to do it in such a stupid way without local experience. just hoping for a soft landing.

whats your opinion for that situation? where to start?

thanks man!
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

You start by gathering information and then coming for a first visit to check the place out.

At least you've been to the region and liked it, so that's a big plus.

Not much in terms of island life in Cambodia though, shrinking down to nothing if you depend on reliable internet. Visit as many places as you can and pick the one you like, would be my advice.

Change is ever present and very fast, no place will remain the same over time, just look at Sihanoukville. It can also take time before you see things clearly. I quite liked Phnom Penh in the beginning but after many visits realized that no, I definitely did not want to live in this big messy city.

Good luck!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic