Gardening - succulents and cacti?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Gardening - succulents and cacti?

Post by taabarang »

"No, I don't know what pineapples cost in the provinces. This link might help."

Hell, we grow them, so I don't care what they cost; I'm more concerned what they sell for
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

taabarang wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:16 pm
Hell, we grow them, so I don't care what they cost; I'm more concerned what they sell for
That's a question for Trapper :stir:
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

The soil is most important with cacti and succulents. They both have slightly different requirements. You aren't going to be able to get a pre-mix soil here, so you'll have to make your own. I'm currently really pleased with a mix using diatomaceous earth cat litter:
This brand from Super Duper, really keeps the soil dry and bugs away.
Add fine & coarse sand from building sites, decent soil, and coconut coir. In a equal 4 part mix. Sprinkle an extra handful of tiny pebbles at the end for extra air in the soil of you like.
I water very rarely, once a fortnight perhaps.

Wish I was allowed to buy more cacti, but my wife considers them to be very influential luck (good & bad) giving plants and gets upset when I come home with them.
Last edited by Rama on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Rama wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 pm The soil is most important with cacti and succulents. They both have slightly different requirements. You aren't going to be able to get a pre-mix soil here, so you'll have to make your own. I'm currently really pleased with a mix using diatomaceous earth cat litter:
This brand from Super Duper, really keeps the soil dry and bugs away.
Add fine & coarse sand from building sites, decent soil, and coconut coir. In a equal 4 part mix. Sprinkle and extra handful of tiny pebbles.
I water very rarely, once a fortnight perhaps.

Wish I was allowed to buy more cacti, but my wife considers them to be very influential luck (good & bad) giving plants and gets upset when I come home with them.
Thanks - any photos of your plants?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

The Fairy Castle is about 10 years old now, just been repotted and at a very slight tilt, but she's taken to three new soil and should keep on growing upwards and hopefully right herself.

Band of monkeys visiting a couple of days a week, my pitcher plant (hanging to the left of the fairy castle) is finding it hard to establish any pitchers due to being monkey-handled.ImageImageImage
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Rama wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:48 pm The Fairy Castle is about 10 years old now, just been repotted and at a very slight tilt, but she's taken to three new soil and should keep on growing upwards and hopefully right herself.

Band of monkeys visiting a couple of days a week, my pitcher plant (hanging to the left of the fairy castle) is finding it hard to establish any pitchers due to being monkey-handled.ImageImageImage
Nice. How does your pitcher plant go here, do you get enough pitchers? I haven't seen these in plant shops, although I've been watching for them.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Pitcher plant was doing really nicely. Partly shade, lots of water (keep pitchers full), it had about 10-15 large, hanging pitchers before the monkeys got at it.
I bought mine from the place behind PTT/Amazon on 474, corner Street 99.
He's got some healthy plants there.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Rama wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:31 pm Pitcher plant was doing really nicely. Partly shade, lots of water (keep pitchers full), it had about 10-15 large, hanging pitchers before the monkeys got at it.
I bought mine from the place behind PTT/Amazon on 474, corner Street 99.
He's got some healthy plants there.
Sounds like it's worth a look, thanks.

Those monkeys are little bastards. They got the seats in my tuktuk, I'm sure they only do it for the perverse pleasure of fouling up someone's day.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Quick update - I plunged the cactus and let it drain, three days later it was rotten. It may have already been rotting from too much heat (sitting in the window sill which gets direct sun all day) but unsure.

It occurs to me that the place I bought it from has these sitting outdoors all day every day, including the wet season, and it was thriving when I bought it. Frustrating!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I was thinking we should start a dedicated gardening thread - are you open to turn this into a general gardening thread Stroppy?

If not I’m happy to start another.
I’ve got a lot of questions for gardeners!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic