ACE craziness (Australian Centre for Education in Phnom Penh)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: ACE craziness

Post by newkidontheblock »

taabarang wrote:Newkid, just check out her textbook. If it says Headway on the cover that will explain your confusion for reasons I already stated.

Is it a Headway?

According to the homework assignment, no such answer as shrimp on the barbie. Only grilled prawns.

Well that’s class session one in ACE. Hope today’s session improves.

Had a horrible thought. What if she gets really good at listening to some Aussie speaking on tape? Does that mean she loses the ability to hear what I’m saying?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:05 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 am Missus just started on an ACE program for English. This is the aussie version of English. Was just discussing her first class. She wanted me to go over her homework assignment before class this afternoon.

Lots of words and ideas I don’t have a clue about. Like ‘take away’ and ‘beet root’ and ‘courgette’. Totally unhelpful for her future life.

Should I tell her to stick with it until she starts greeting me with ‘G’day mate’ and telling me that I am a ‘Sheila’ when she gets angry? Or should I tell her to bail?
Why would she be calling you a Sheila? is this a lesbian relationship?
Because he behaves like a big girl's blouse?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Stroppy's correct. It's official!

This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Love this movie.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:10 pm
taabarang wrote:Newkid, just check out her textbook. If it says Headway on the cover that will explain your confusion for reasons I already stated.

Is it a Headway?

According to the homework assignment, no such answer as shrimp on the barbie. Only grilled prawns.

Well that’s class session one in ACE. Hope today’s session improves.

Had a horrible thought. What if she gets really good at listening to some Aussie speaking on tape? Does that mean she loses the ability to hear what I’m saying?
Hi newkid,

They don't look at all like the Headway series, however since this is an Oxford Press publication, it is reasonable to suspect they are emphasizing British English, not Australian. But without scanning the text I can't be certain.

In any case it little matters; all educated speakers of English are mutually intelligible unless they lean too heavily on dialect or slang. It might take a while to get used to the accent however.

In any case you are harboring a needless fear. Her accent, no matter how slight, will most likely be that of a Cambodian. I suggest you encourage her to continue her pursuit of English no matter what the accent or diction. If you don't home teach and she doesn't study formally then you might end up with a bigger communicative problem-a wife who speaks perfectly unintelligible Engbodian.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: ACE craziness (Australian Centre for Education in Phnom Penh)

Post by newkidontheblock »

She’s in level 7 (of 12). Today’s class was another substitute Khmer teacher. This one went to great lengths to hide and not have interactions with the students. Was just informed that the regular class teacher is also Khmer. Her current impression is that these teachers are less knowledgeable than the ones in Chenla.

When does she get to have a native English speaker as a teacher? She’s seen the older non-Khmer teachers around. When does she get them?

ACE is much more expensive than English at Chenla, approaching the price of nursing school. She doesn’t see any improvement in quality to justify the price increase.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

OK newkid, that's a different problem. All students at that level deserve a qualified native speaker as a teacher considering the serious money they pay.
It's time to front up admin and if they are unresponsive search for a better school. Unfortunately, I can be of no assistance in making a recommendation.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Ask for a different teacher
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 pm She’s in level 7 (of 12). Today’s class was another substitute Khmer teacher. This one went to great lengths to hide and not have interactions with the students. Was just informed that the regular class teacher is also Khmer. Her current impression is that these teachers are less knowledgeable than the ones in Chenla.

When does she get to have a native English speaker as a teacher? She’s seen the older non-Khmer teachers around. When does she get them?

ACE is much more expensive than English at Chenla, approaching the price of nursing school. She doesn’t see any improvement in quality to justify the price increase.
Older non Khmer? Are they somehow better than the not so old non Khmer?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

violet wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:59 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 pm She’s in level 7 (of 12). Today’s class was another substitute Khmer teacher. This one went to great lengths to hide and not have interactions with the students. Was just informed that the regular class teacher is also Khmer. Her current impression is that these teachers are less knowledgeable than the ones in Chenla.

Older non Khmer? Are they somehow better than the not so old non Khmer?
Some of us older non-Khmer even have postgraduate degrees in teaching...

Actually, to be fair, I suspect the OP is cherry-picking (possibly unwittingly) the content he and his missus aren't happy with, without him being aware of the total content. ACE has a very good reputation, and I doubt they'd be teaching ONLY what's been presented here as a course. Most language teachers will eventually run an off-the-books class on slang and swearing in the second language - you wouldn't want that to be taken as representative of the whole course.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic