Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Cambodia in June 2018

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Cambodia in June 2018

Post by epidemiks »

Username Taken wrote:Learning Khmer or Chinese?
She's spent a few years in China, so it's probable she already speaks Chinese.

Possibly why she got the gig.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It's pretty common practice for foreign service employees to do language training for a minimum of six months before a redeployment...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Abc123 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:45 am A few things I noted about the appointment were:

She's seems to have been out of the foreign office service since 2016.

She is currently a language trainer ( teacher) Is that here? Not at BELTEI surely?

They have managed to place somebody with relatively little ambassadorial experience ( 2003 – 2006, Timor Leste ) right before the elections in July.

Seeing as both the US and EU (read UK) have pulled support from the elections, and will; therefore, deem them illegitimate, are the FO expecting there to be any kick-back, or is this all just a coincidence?
The British government has said it will be reassigning diplomatic staff as part of the brexit process to countries where they intend to strike fantastic trade deals. I doubt they are even really aware of the elections or their significance, far too busy trying to sort out the mess the referendum has caused. As for the embassy I think maybe its a bit unfair to blame the staff. they do what they can within the rules applied by a totally morally bankrupt and incompetent government. At leat 1 of the staff tries very hard to help, one is a complete jobsworth and the senior staff I have never been able to meet. This is an acrtual conversation I had a couple of years ago:
me How many brits are there in Cambodia?
them Not many
me how do you know if you don't keep a register?
them because we hardly ever see anybody
me have you consider that might be because you cannot actually do anything any more?
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am
Abc123 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 pm A language trainer? Isn't that a teacher? Urrghh.

It says "training" not "trainer" -
2016 – present Full time language training

I think that means she was a student.
Student? Urgggh!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Changing of the guard at the British Embassy.

July 4, 2018
Bidding farewell to the Kingdom
After more than four years in the Kingdom, former UK Ambassador to Cambodia Bill Longhurst speaks with Khmer Times’ Editor-in-Chief Cheang Sokha about current relations between the two countries, the political situation in Cambodia and Brexit’s effect on the country...
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50507901/b ... e-kingdom/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic