KoW is asking alot for too little.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: KoW is asking alot for too little.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

At the turn of the century I was a banged up junkie staying at Walkabout, Capitol.....using morphine, special K etc before eventually getting clean, then going on to become a hopeless alcoholic. I thought I had a genetic predisposition, or told myself I did, toward addiction which worked beautifully as an excuse. I'm not saying I have more of an understanding than science on these things, however it's been my experience many alcoholics use the "its a disease" excuse as a way in which to lay blame, avoid responsibility or take ownership of their addiction, allowing or giving themselves permission to continue on into the abyss.

If it is a disease, the individual is indeed his own cause and cure.
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm
jmagic wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:08 am It's a behavior, not a disease.
Partially right, but it can get passed through genetically by several generations, if you wanna hear my full story, just PM me, granddad was an addict, father was, and since i’m a product from the seventies, i got a few more choices back in the days. My older sis had books about plants and its effects on humans. I was eight. I did read and brew some tea, from the recipe from one of the books. Made some tea to ease my mind. Do you really think that’s normal? Don’t wannabe a complainer, but have been witnessed of some serious domestic and intra familial violence that i’ve started to realize when i was about four. Much worse things have happened when i was seven. No need for details here me think. It’s genetetically passed on, and PTSD, to call it easily, certainly added to the severenes of my disease. POINT!

Not shy to speak out, i did in total about 5 years of intensive residential therapy. Including trauma handling, and so much more. By now i concider myself a psychologist myself. Some shit in mind and body ain’t easy to handle!
I like playing sports. So does my brother. So did my dad. So did my great grandfather. Is this a disease? Or is it an preference for a certain kind of activity that tends to run in my family?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I smoked for 48+ years and gave it away. I think about wanting one all the time but just don't. My body (shitty as it is) demands it........

I cannot accuse anyone of being weak or an addict as I am one.

I just choose not to allow myself to give in. =@
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

jmagic wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:00 pm
Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm
jmagic wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:08 am It's a behavior, not a disease.
Partially right, but it can get passed through genetically by several generations, if you wanna hear my full story, just PM me, granddad was an addict, father was, and since i’m a product from the seventies, i got a few more choices back in the days. My older sis had books about plants and its effects on humans. I was eight. I did read and brew some tea, from the recipe from one of the books. Made some tea to ease my mind. Do you really think that’s normal? Don’t wannabe a complainer, but have been witnessed of some serious domestic and intra familial violence that i’ve started to realize when i was about four. Much worse things have happened when i was seven. No need for details here me think. It’s genetetically passed on, and PTSD, to call it easily, certainly added to the severenes of my disease. POINT!

Not shy to speak out, i did in total about 5 years of intensive residential therapy. Including trauma handling, and so much more. By now i concider myself a psychologist myself. Some shit in mind and body ain’t easy to handle!
I like playing sports. So does my brother. So did my dad. So did my great grandfather. Is this a disease? Or is it an preference for a certain kind of activity that tends to run in my family?
What kind of an answer is that, firstly, i’ve never knew my grandfather on father’s side, and my father was such a top bloke that he left my mom with four kids without paying any form of alimentation. I’ll not reply to any of your comments in the future, as you seem to lack seriously of IQ and EQ. All the best for you, you sportsman! Borum.
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm My older sis had books about plants and its effects on humans. I was eight. I did read and brew some tea, from the recipe from one of the books. Made some tea to ease my mind. Do you really think that’s normal?
Do you remember what books? What's abnormal about reading and drinking tea? Excuse my ignorance.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

fax wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:22 pm
Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm My older sis had books about plants and its effects on humans. I was eight. I did read and brew some tea, from the recipe from one of the books. Made some tea to ease my mind. Do you really think that’s normal?
Do you remember what books? What's abnormal about reading and drinking tea? Excuse my ignorance.
I think he means "tea" ? Stuff that is not recommended for 8yo s.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:31 pm
fax wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:22 pm
I think he means "tea" ? Stuff that is not recommended for 8yo s.
That. Relaxing stuff that nature has to offer. No weed or so, just things that can be found in the European countryside and brew some tea from it, just not normal imho for an eight year old to start being an amateur alchemist just to ease the demons in his head.

@fax , no can’t remember mate, sorry, it’s been more than 35 years ago.
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:38 pm At the turn of the century I was a banged up junkie staying at Walkabout, Capitol.....using morphine, special K etc before eventually getting clean, then going on to become a hopeless alcoholic. I thought I had a genetic predisposition, or told myself I did, toward addiction which worked beautifully as an excuse. I'm not saying I have more of an understanding than science on these things, however it's been my experience many alcoholics use the "its a disease" excuse as a way in which to lay blame, avoid responsibility or take ownership of their addiction, allowing or giving themselves permission to continue on into the abyss.

If it is a disease, the individual is indeed his own cause and cure.
I did all that and prolly a bit more too mate, started at 13. 44 now. How was your childhood if you’re allowing me to ask? Flawless or rather the opposite, all fine and shiny? Every case is different. I have to admit that since being with the love of my life, my saviour in fact, that it became a little easier. But it stays a daily struggle...
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

So some people are more susceptible to getting addicted to the "behavior" than others, and it's most likely genetic:

Landmark study on origins of alcoholism. 15% of population susceptible.

I don't think I'm in that 15%.
However much I drink, I still don't get actually addicted.
It's just a habit.
I could give it up tomorrow, if I wanted to.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic