$100 tips

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: $100 tips

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:49 pm
jaynewcastle wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:21 pm Is tipping bar/restaurant staff by Cambodian people the norm in Cambodia ?, or is it an imported custom mainly for tourists ?
It's not normal in bog-standard pork & rice places, but it is in any of the more salubrious establishments. I've been out with a whole lot of local people over the years and the person who picks up the bill usually throws a decent tip in.
This. All my Khmer acquaintances tip.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:11 am
StroppyChops wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:57 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:47 pm usually give them the change if its a dollar or less...
Yep, also this, unless it's 100r and then you just look like a dick. In that case, kick in an extra 1,000r.
haha ive even had beggers refuse the 100's
We get rid of our 100s by wrapping 5 of them in a 500, and then just giving beggars the 1000r that way. We're noticing more and more it's not appreciated - and from this we learn who is genuinely hungry and who is a career beggar. My tolerance for able-bodied career beggars is low.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:26 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:47 pm usually give them the change if its a dollar or less...
Yep, also this, unless it's 100r and then you just look like a dick. In that case, kick in an extra 1,000r.
We get rid of our 100s by wrapping 5 of them in a 500, and then just giving beggars the 1000r that way. We're noticing more and more it's not appreciated - and from this we learn who is genuinely hungry and who is a career beggar. My tolerance for able-bodied career beggars is low.
do exactly the same haha
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

StroppyChops wrote:
I had to set some boundaries for myself on this - I only give to old people (because they obviously survived some amazing stuff and they are usually so lovely) and to people who are disabled and unable to work. I usually give between R1000 - $1, depending on the person.

And then there's one mother on the beach who melted my heart the first time we met. We were at the beach and she was walking around with her little boy, very politely asking if she could have the leftover food. She didn't ask anyone for money.
That almost broke me - I help her every time I see her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

:wink:
"don't tip them, or it will spoil them"
It's not spoiling the staff, it's spoiling the business.

I always leave token riels, but I'd rather pay the full price to a place that pays it's staff properly, rather than one that has them rely on the vagary of customers to make up a viable wage.
If it's someone I know, or want to :wink: that can be different.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

hanno wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:12 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:04 pm I seldom tip more than 10% at the better places ( restaurnts) in Bars only the Riel left over if less than $1.
if u start tipping more they tend to expect it from u every time u go there
And there is nothing wrong that. I tip rather generously in my usual haunts. As a result I never wait for a cold beer.
I admire you for that but I have to say I never tip and I don't wait for my beer either.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Duncan wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:14 pm My sister-in-law ? who is 7 months pregnant and is still working in a popular restaurant here in PP. Today she tells me a customer gave her a $100 tip. to spend on the baby.
I know some of the expats here are on good salaries so what size tip are you giving to bar and restaurant staff ?
10 to 25% thats the standard US rate for all service industry employees. So for a tuk tuk ride of $1 or 4000 riel its not much, would be maybe 600 additional riel,or if im dissatisfied with the ride ill just leave at 10% or less. If they find their own way without me having to tell them where to go ill move upto 20%
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

I was brought in US and in the 60s to present 15%....is the norm in a Restaurant...maybe 25% if the food, service and ambience was superb.
I worked in bars...and bar folks tip each other ..
In my topless joint in the 80s..a can of Coors was $3...I gave the waitress $1...
In Thailand I learned from a friend in Koh Samui that the tip left in the check..book went to the owner to divide up and staff got a monthly cut.
So, you needed to tip a fair amount 10% and slip the gal a separate tip. In Chiang Mai at a great place the gal was confused and my date said I could get in trouble.
These days....I eat at home, drink at home.
I give tuk tuk guys 2 or 3 times the rate.
I give the door man 5000 riel for bringing my water upstairs..
I buy food for a Pagoda few Khmer go to.
I save my 100s..and give them to folks at Pagodas.
There are some half soldiers and other twisted gents I give 10,000 riel to if I see them.
As far as tipping working ladies...that depends on their skill level and how good of time we have.
$100?
No fucking way....but close in Thailand once.
Of course this doesn't the money I have blown buying rounds and having expensive 'gf'...yikes
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic