White Woman Barbara Sherin Accuses Cambodians of Cheating Her...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Re: White Woman Barbara Sherin Accuses Cambodians of Cheating Her...

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

Using flipper to talk about Filipino(s) is a derogatory term. Flips/Flippers is a racism.

If you didn't know before, you know now.
Whoever disagrees with me...
If you wanna take this up in person, send me a PM and we can look at the etymology over pancakes and Coffee. Paid for by you.
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Disagree. Heard Filipinos refer to others with this term.

Pancakes? Eeeew.

Don't hold your breath.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

that genius wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:15 am Disagree. Heard Filipinos refer to others with this term.

Pancakes? Eeeew.

Don't hold your breath.
Black people call each other the 'N' word but it's still racist. You should think before you speak out.
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

VLayHo-ho-ho wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:55 am Using flipper to talk about Filipino(s) is a derogatory term. Flips/Flippers is a racism.

If you wanna take this up in person, send me a PM and we can look at the etymology over pancakes and Coffee. Paid for by you.
I disagree with you. If you can cite some evidence on the etymology of the word that proves conclusively that it is "a racism", please post it here.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

It doesn't work that way.

You made the claim it's racist, you supply the evidence.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

During the 7 years I lived in the Philippines, I don't recall ever hearing an expat using the terms flips, flippers or PI. Even the long term military retirees avoided using them. On rare occasions, a new arrival would use one of them, thinking it was standard practice, but they would be immediately corrected and told it was unacceptable and dangerous.
Whether the term "flip" is an acronym or a reference to a perceived tendency to "flip out" is irrelevant. They were widely used during the era of US military bases, which were closed by order of the Philippine Govt. in 1992. Fiiipinos regard them as patronising and racist and will react violently to their usage-at least within their own country.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Gilmore wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:01 am During the 7 years I lived in the Philippines, I don't recall ever hearing an expat using the terms flips, flippers or PI. Even the long term military retirees avoided using them. On rare occasions, a new arrival would use one of them, thinking it was standard practice, but they would be immediately corrected and told it was unacceptable and dangerous.
Whether the term "flip" is an acronym or a reference to a perceived tendency to "flip out" is irrelevant. They were widely used during the era of US military bases, which were closed by order of the Philippine Govt. in 1992. Fiiipinos regard them as patronising and racist and will react violently to their usage-at least within their own country.
What about LBFM? Do expats in the Philippines say that?
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

Very rarely, as they live their lives surrounded by them. It's usually only used while educating newbies about the sex industry there. New arrivals are referred to as "Cherry Boys" (virgins) by the locals and are heavily targeted. The warning usually goes, "She may be a great LBFM, but don't trust her".
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:21 am
VLayHo-ho-ho wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:55 am Using flipper to talk about Filipino(s) is a derogatory term. Flips/Flippers is a racism.

I disagree with you. If you can cite some evidence on the etymology of the word that proves conclusively that it is "a racism", please post it here.
All I can find..wiki...

'Pinoy is an informal demonym referring to the Filipino people in the Philippines and their culture as well as to overseas Filipinos in the Filipino diaspora. A Pinoy with mix of foreign ancestry is called Tisoy, a shortened word for ... itself with apparently no derogatory connotations. It is more positive than the slang term flip.'
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Damn...Vlayhoho may be right...if so apologies...check out some of these terms, brutal

http://www.rsdb.org/race/filipinos

Still not buying anybody pancakes, yucky food. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic