How's cryptocurrency looking now?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hft_trader
Tourist
United States of America

Re: How's cryptocurrency looking now?

Post by hft_trader »

95% of them will not survive but a few big ones will. It's just like the internet when it first started with all the idiotic ideas and scams. I worked at a brokerage and this guy called to put on a trade and I remember him saying "I am so sick of hearing about this internet thing. It will be gone in 5 years."

don't be that guy.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

hft_trader wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:46 pm 95% of them will not survive but a few big ones will. It's just like the internet when it first started with all the idiotic ideas and scams. I worked at a brokerage and this guy called to put on a trade and I remember him saying "I am so sick of hearing about this internet thing. It will be gone in 5 years."

don't be that guy.
Using your analogy I wonder how triggered traders would get if their favourite flavour of crypto was likened to AOL.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
hft_trader
Tourist
United States of America

Post by hft_trader »

I personally don't know a lot about them nor do I trade them. I am workign with a machine learning firm putting out crypto trading signals, so to get up to speed I started following and reading Twitter.
It's like a cult. Any hint of negativity is met with personal insults and threats. To answer your question, very very triggered into a rage.

A girl I am frieds with from Brazil, who does some prosituting on the side to make ends meet sent me an IM that she bought bitcoin. That's when I knew it was close to blowing up and it did.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

hft_trader wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:40 pm It's like a cult. Any hint of negativity is met with personal insults and threats.
Read this thread carefully. The people throwing around insults and getting upset with those who disagree with them are the naysayers. Those who support crypto are for the most part just stating opinions without much regard for whether others agree or not.

As I said before, I don't see it as my job to change anyone's mind, if you aren't into it that's fine, but calling it a ponzi scheme or cult just because you don't understand it is just nonsensical. It's a multibillion dollar industry that has seen fantastic growth (despite the volatility) and is currently seeing massive investment from all corners of the globe. This is a simple, demonstrable fact regardless of whether you understand/agree with the reasoning behind it.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bubble T wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:57 pm
hft_trader wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:40 pm It's like a cult. Any hint of negativity is met with personal insults and threats.
Read this thread carefully. The people throwing around insults and getting upset with those who disagree with them are the naysayers. Those who support crypto are for the most part just stating opinions without much regard for whether others agree or not.

<cut>
Nah, not really, two examples, feel free to quote more:
DrDisFunkShunAll wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 am <cut>
You're just plain ignorant
DrDisFunkShunAll wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:17 pm If you had invested in the Phnomenom earlier, when people had given you that very --general-- advice, where would you be now? In a country Villa, or at the bottom of a bar, haha?
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

The only bit you quoted that could possibly be considered as an insult is the reference to ignorance. Given that it was made in relation to statements you made that were self evidently incorrect and baseless, it seems more like a basic statement of fact than a needless ad hominem attack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bubble T wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:16 pm The only bit you quoted that could possibly be considered as an insult is the reference to ignorance. Given that it was made in relation to statements you made that were self evidently incorrect and baseless, it seems more like a basic statement of fact than a needless ad hominem attack.
Of course Bubble, of course. Ignorant people make incorrect statements all the time, don't they.
And suggesting some someone living and the bottom of the bar is praising, isn't it?

Now please come up with insulting statements from the naysayers, and back up your statement.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kammelor, if you're not interested in cryptocurrency why don't you find a thread that you are interested in, and stop trolling.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

There's an element of poacher pretending to be gamekeeper, and of course self-interest, when bloomberg are reporting on this kind of thing, but yet again more smoke from these private crypto exchanges, which seem to be even more corrupt than 'real' exchanges (nyse etc), if that's possible.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018 ... en-trades/
hft_trader wrote:A girl I am frieds with from Brazil, who does some prosituting on the side to make ends meet sent me an IM that she bought bitcoin. That's when I knew it was close to blowing up and it did.
LOL, Maybe it's not shoes she shines though (http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-s ... es-2017-10)
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
hft_trader
Tourist
United States of America

Post by hft_trader »

I should have been more transparent.

I don't own any crypto but I do work for a broker and trading signal provider as a consultant. Like any new "thing" there will be growing pains and frauds. It will survive, it's too far past the point of failing unless the governeemtn decides to throw people in jail or fine them millions of dollars like napster.

Those people that get upset if you have something negative to say are the same people who held at 18k and are panicking right now. They fell in love with it and it made them blind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic