Murder of "Killing Fields" star haunts detective.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Murder of "Killing Fields" star haunts detective.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Actor Haing Ngor won "Best Supporting Actor" for his role in "The Killing Fields" at the 1985 Oscars. (Getty)

By Stephanie Nolasco Fox News
26 June 2018

Murder of 'Killing Fields' star Haing Ngor still haunts detective: 'I didn’t have any answers'

Retired LAPD detective John Garcia has tackled more than 300 murder cases in his career, but one case he can't get over is the brutal killing of one Oscar-winning actor.

Dr. Haing Ngor, a Cambodian physician who won an Academy Award for his role in the 1984 film “The Killing Fields,” was gunned down in the parking lot of his Los Angeles apartment complex in 1996 at age 55.

Garcia described how when he got to the crime scene, there were no witnesses or a weapon. He discovered approximately $2,900 in cash sitting undisturbed in the backseat of Ngor’s car. There was also a media frenzy Garcia wasn’t prepared for.

“I still get the same question to this day,” said Garcia. “'This was a political hit, wasn’t it?’ No, it was not. It was not a political hit. Although at the onset, I didn’t know. It could have been. There’s a lot speculation, but it was not a political hit… It truly was not.”

Full article http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... swers.html
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Re: Murder of "Killing Fields" star haunts detective.

Post by Felgerkarb »

Tragic. His story surviving the KR in his book was truly a sad one. Then he ended up this way after surviving all of that.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Just a quick aside.

I don't know this Kung-fu Hillbilly cat, but he's been kicking some major ass with his plethora of outstanding forum contributions!

Keep'em coming. :thumb:
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

I just watched the documentary on him on Vimeo. Very heavy. Would recommend to watch it if you haven't already.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

I recommend anyone interested in what actually happened read Michael Vickery's "Cambodia 1975 to 1982".

[Mod edited]
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

dron wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:26 pm I recommend anyone interested in what actually happened read Michael Vickery's "Cambodia 1975 to 1982".

[Mod edited]
Dude, I think we all get that you're a miserable, trolling POS. So please don't feel like you have to remind us on EVERY post you make.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

dron wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:26 pm I recommend anyone interested in what actually happened read Michael Vickery's "Cambodia 1975 to 1982".

[Mod edited]
What a ridiculous post. Much as I like Michael Vickery's writing, he wasn't even in Cambodia from 1974 till 1981, while Haing Ngor lived through the Pol Pot regime and escaped. I don't recall Vickery being in LA at the time of Ngor's murder either, or maybe I missed something.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I was directed by a member toward a piece written by Dave Walker in 2012.

LA gangland’s senseless killing

By Dave Walker
Publication date 16 May 2012

When Dr Haing S Ngor gave an interview about our film project, The Man From Year Zero, to The Nation newspaper in Bangkok on September 16, 1994, I was ecstatic. I was in Bangkok, working on the script rewrite, when he was murdered in Los Angeles on February 25, 1996.

In a Los Angeles Times article on January 21, 2010, Kaing Guek Eav, alias Duch, recently sentenced for his participating role in Cambodia’s Khmer Rouge atrocities, claimed: “Haing Ngor was killed because he appeared in the film The Killing Fields.” Even as a conspiracy theory, there was no logic for the Khmer Rouge to kill the Academy Award winner, especially in California.

Victory (Home of Champions) has an unusual clientele – hip-hop raised, tattooed, former Cambodian/American gang members, male and female, forcibly exiled from their American homes to Cambodia. At the Victory, old gang rivalries are set aside and new arrivals can find help, advice and even hope.

“I knew ‘Silent’ and ‘Solo’ since they first hit the streets. Somebody told them that Haing Ngor had a suitcase with a hundred thousand dollars in the trunk of his Mercedes, and they knew he wore a gold chain, locket and a Rolex watch. They went there to jack [rob] him.

“There wasn’t nobody big behind it. I know, because I asked them when I was the shot-caller in the gang module – they wouldn’t lie to me or the other homies.”

“We were all pissed off they’d killed a Cambodian icon. They told me they was all cracked out when they did it. Those fools didn’t even know who they killed until after they was arrested.”

Full https://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/la ... ss-killing
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic