Do men who discriminate have the right....

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Do men who discriminate have the right....

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Do Men Who Discriminate Have The Right To Complain About Discrimination?

By Johanna Higgs
26/06/2018

He was explaining how in Central Asian culture, men were considered superior to women. He was smiling and didn’t appear to think that there was anything wrong with this. Nor did he seem to be concerned that as a woman, that this might offend me. Indeed, when I did inform him that I thought such attitudes were offensive, he shrugged his shoulders and said, ‘well this is how we are here.’

A few months later, I was sitting in a small bar in Phnom Penh, Cambodia telling a man from New Zealand about my travels in the Middle East. After listening for a moment he said,

‘Wow that must be really difficult for you to travel through there.’

He said it with a sort of half laugh and in a sort of very casual, dismissive way. It was a response that I was used to. It is said in a way that acknowledged that I would be discriminated against in the Middle East as a woman, but dismisses it as if it’s no big deal, as if it’s a joke and something that inevitably, I and other women, have to accept.

Full article https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... ccounter=1
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Re: Do men who discriminate have the right....

Post by Felgerkarb »

Chip, meet shoulder.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

A few months later, I was sitting in a small bar in Phnom Penh, Cambodia telling a man from New Zealand about my travels in the Middle East. After listening for a moment he said,

‘Wow that must be really difficult for you to travel through there.’

He said it with a sort of half laugh and in a sort of very casual, dismissive way. It was a response that I was used to. It is said in a way that acknowledged that I would be discriminated against in the Middle East as a woman, but dismisses it as if it’s no big deal, as if it’s a joke and something that inevitably, I and other women, have to accept.
I didn't read any further, but what's the big deal here ? You meet someone in a bar who is just not very interested in what you have to say. The guy here is probably thinking more about whether he should have another drink, or whether he thinks she's cute, than the situation of women in the ME.

This is bar culture. I'm not sure what the writer was expecting here. She is allowed to be offended, but he is allowed to be bored, or to not care about her travel experiences. He's not her bf or her therapist. He's a random guy in a bar, and he's even polite, but he's not giving her the answer she wants.

What's the problem ? Finish your drink, and go find someone else to talk to. :boring:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I consider myself a strong man who works directly in women's rights, but I have zero tolerance for screechers. It's not often I'll comment on a linked article without actually reading it, but nope. Nope, nope. Take that politically correct feminazi agenda, and stay far, far away from me and the women I work with.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

The real question is...

What is she doing out of the kitchen in the first place?

Traveling to find new recipes for her man is kind of acceptable as an answer I guess.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

That's why women have shorter feet... so they can stand closer to the sink.

I know that its terrible.................... I am sorry............ really I am!!!!!!!!! =@
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

And they dont know how to ski because there's no snow between the kitchen and the bedroom....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

You could also ask do women who discriminate have the right to complain about discrimination? After all, feminism is mostly about special treatment for women not equality for men and women.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:09 am You could also ask do women who discriminate have the right to complain about discrimination? After all, feminism is mostly about special treatment for women not equality for men and women.
Well, you can't be racist to a white man, apparently. White women - grey area.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic