work permit or new taxe ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ryoon
Expatriate

work permit or new taxe ?

Post by ryoon »

Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: work permit or new taxe ?

Post by Soi Dog »

Major General Leakhana said enforcement has begun in Phnom Penh but will soon expand to the provinces. Thus far his office has already collected $5,700 worth in fines during the past month.
That'll buy quite a bit of tea.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

work visa? No such thing! Great reporting Cambodia Daily :facepalm:
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

problem is, and i actually just posted this on lic in a similar thread on the subject, there IS no work visa. nor is there a 1 year tourist visa or a retirement visa. they're all wrapped up in one thing... and with no way do discriminate based on visa type it's not unrealistic for them to charge you for the maximum rights that visa conveys to you (in this case, the right to seek employment) whether you use those rights or not.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Well permit are relevant only if you are employed and declared as such.
If you are self or unemployed not really a concern.
At least in a logic and fair system which very likely it is not
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

where in a logical system if you came on a visa that enables you to work, you have to be working... as that's the intent of the visa.

here, the whole multi entry "ordinary" visa is illogical from the start.
taranis
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by taranis »

404 Not Known
Last edited by taranis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Forgives. I don't!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

an ordinary visa is being treated as a business visa... easily justified as "the maximum rights it affords you". as such, you're supposed to have a work permit. reality is, some people aren't working... which could, in most countries, mean getting your visa revoked after X time. here they just seem to want you to have a work permit (paid for yourself) and let you keep the visa.

it's all very complicated, and i think the renaming of it will likely be to remove the whole "it's not a business visa, i don't need a work permit" argument. meaning everyone will have to have one.
taranis
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by taranis »

404 Not Known
Last edited by taranis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Forgives. I don't!
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Me? I'll have a new taxe please. This is about girls yeah?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic