Relocating with kids.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
JonnyP
Tourist
Great Britain

Relocating with kids.

Post by JonnyP »

Hey. I am currently resident in the UK. I am considering a long term stay in Cambodia with my family. Ideally a year or so. Could anyone please tell me what the options for my children’s education are please? We’re very early in the research process and it all seems a little confusing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Jon
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Relocating with kids.

Post by Username Taken »

Children's ages might help.
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

Budget is also important...
JonnyP
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by JonnyP »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:25 pm Children's ages might help.

Sorry. 11 and 12

Many thanks
JonnyP
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by JonnyP »

RogueAnt wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:28 pm Budget is also important...
I have about £6000 saved would ideally like to work whilst there.

Thank you
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

home school FREE
international school Expensive
bilingual school soso

For 1 year, not worth moving; up routing ur kds from all their friends and what they know, setting up a house, buying a car, furniture etc etc
$290/year for visas and assume you and ur wife are under 55.... how will u even get them?

£6000 $7,000 for a family of 4 for a year?? Ur joking,right
visas alone eat up $1,200
rent min $250 $3,000
so that leaves u $2,800 or less than $250/month for everything else

How old are u and what are you qualified to do for work?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

JonnyP wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:49 pm I am considering a long term stay in Cambodia with my family. Ideally a year or so.
Jon, a year is typically not considered long stay.

I would respectfully suggest you place your kids at schools in your home country for a year with reliable minders, don't interrupt their education for your agenda, and then consider what to do on your return.

To relocate everything for a year would be kind of disruptive, and, imho, irresponsible. Sorry for being direct, it's what I do.
JonnyP
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by JonnyP »

that genius wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:25 pm
JonnyP wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:49 pm I am considering a long term stay in Cambodia with my family. Ideally a year or so.
Jon, a year is typically not considered long stay.

I would respectfully suggest you place your kids at schools in your home country for a year with reliable minders, don't interrupt their education for your agenda, and then consider what to do on your return.

To relocate everything for a year would be kind of disruptive, and, imho, irresponsible. Sorry for being direct, it's what I do.
Thank you. I appreciate your comments. They’re only ball park ideas so maybe a review is in order.

If one were to stay for longer? Is an education system over there in any way as adequate as the uk’s?

😊 Jon
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:44 pm home school FREE
bilingual school soso
Expensive being about $6k/year +, so adding misc extras, that's your savings gone for one child's school fees.
You can live cheaply in the sticks, home-schooling, or possibly an ngo school of some kind.
Completely forget about local schools.
If you want to work, you'll probably need to be in Phnom Penh, where it's much more expensive.
I think you either need much more savings, a well-paying job lined up, or find an NGO, government or MNC to send you all exes paid.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
JonnyP
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by JonnyP »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:44 pm home school FREE
bilingual school soso

For 1 year, not worth moving; up routing ur kds from all their friends and what they know, setting up a house, buying a car, furniture etc etc
$290/year for visas and assume you and ur wife are under 55.... how will u even get them?

£6000 $7,000 for a family of 4 for a year?? Ur joking,right
visas alone eat up $1,200
rent min $250 $3,000
so that leaves u $2,800 or less than $250/month for everything else

How old are u and what are you qualified to do for work?
Phuket Richard

Thank you for the part of your comment that actually answered my question. The rest was not necessary but I appreciate your concern. Nice to know that there are genuine people out there who care so much that they will offer their unsolicited opinions.

I am a 37 year old nurse and I am grateful for your input.

😊
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic