Long Term Visa Questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Long Term Visa Questions

Post by frank lee bent »

how can somebody be caught when overstaying in Cambodia, if not looking for problems ?
you are registered with the police every night you stay and need to show your PP in every new place.
duh
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

whiteribbon wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:33 am
cannabistourist wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:50 pm
And how can somebody be caught when overstaying in Cambodia, if not looking for problems ?
Depends where you live I think, here in a small town like Kep the police come to check up on me regularly, so they will know when my visa needs to be renewed. In a bigger city like pp or kampot I don't think this happens that much.

Wow ! is it usual to have checking foreigners in small cities ?
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:45 am
how can somebody be caught when overstaying in Cambodia, if not looking for problems ?
you are registered with the police every night you stay and need to show your PP in every new place.
duh
Unless u stay with family or friends :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

It's also totally normal for the Immigration Police to visit the homes of long term expats and check the number of tenants, and their paperwork, on a six-monthly basis. They are not only allowed to do this, it's part of their job. While you're supposed to register comings and goings (yeah, leave it alone, it's not that funny) with the local police, you will be left alone once you establish a tea-money relationship with your local Immigration Police officer. I instructed our friendly local that he's not to check in more than six-monthly, he's not to bring the sangkat police man for his turn at the trough, and that I'll be recording the ID and taking a photo of every IP person who comes to the house. We now seem to understand each other, and I haven't seen him or anyone else for around a year now. For those who haven't experienced this yet, the IP will try a shock and awe visit in the first instance to intimidate you into a larger contribution to the tea money and retirement fund - simply tell him it's not a convenient time, arrange a time for next week for him to come back, and have your landlord present when that happens. They can't force entry without notice, and have to agree to a later date if requested.

The "fire extinguisher" guy is also yet to reappear for the "annual inspection" after I photographed him and his ID on his first visit.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

never been checked at my house in five years

also u dont register with the police when u check into a hotel at all
they take a copy of your passport and IF the police come in they will show them

there is not a central repository for foreign visitors or polices job to travel around to every hotel every day to get copies of passports!

lol
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

bangkokhooker wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:01 pm never been checked at my house in five years

there is not a central repository for foreign visitors or polices job to travel around to every hotel every day to get copies of passports!

lol

I agree with you ! And it sometimes seems that people living long term in Cambodia think that there are strict rules that MUST be followed, when it is actually so easy to cheat everything and everybody.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

cannabistourist wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:54 pm
bangkokhooker wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:01 pm never been checked at my house in five years

lol

I agree with you ! And it sometimes seems that people living long term in Cambodia think that there are strict rules that MUST be followed, when it is actually so easy to cheat everything and everybody.
Is it ever hard knowing that if you weren't posting here, you wouldn't be missed?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

lol

That doesn't even make any sense (since the authorities know all the long term-ers dates & info).
You simply used all the solid info provided in this thread to go from one misconception to another.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

there is a requirement for gh etc to register foreign guests though as bkk hooker mentions no database
i had a friend staying for a few weeks and the local cops turned up to see his PP.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:38 pm

lol

Is it ever hard knowing that if you weren't posting here, you wouldn't be missed?

I do not understand what you mean, I just hope that you do not feel too sad that some people see thank more clearly than you ?

:-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic