Thailand "Most Dangerous Tourist Destination"

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand

Post by John Bingham »

james1234 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:13 pm
james1234 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:56 pm I want to move to Cambodia and it seems to me that outside PP the traffic in Cambodia is very outdatet but extreemly unsave. Just be very carefull. It is not the Netherlands or Schweden, the most save countries in the world regarding traffic.
Should be:
I want to move to Cambodia and it seems to me that outside PP the traffic in Cambodia is very outdatet but NOT extreemly unsave.
Thailand 36.2
Cambodia 17.4
Austria 5.4
That is remarkeble! Thailand more than twice as dangerous than Cambodia :shock: ? But it confirms my opinion. trafic in PP is bad, but in the rest of the country not dangerous apart from the putholes and dust.
How does that confirm anything that you said? It doesn't give a breakdown of capital vs rural accidents. I would guess that most fatal accidents are on major rural roads where traffic moves a whole lot faster than in the capital.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

How does that confirm anything that you said? It doesn't give a breakdown of capital vs rural accidents. I would guess that most fatal accidents are on major rural roads where traffic moves a whole lot faster than in the capital

Sorry John, it is just my gut feeling and impression. PP and its traffic seem to be more hectic and chaotic than the rest of Cambodia. But is seems peacefull compared to Bangkok.

This quoted numbers just confirm that Cambodia is nowhere near as dangerous than Thailand.

On the other hand: When I google " riskiest travel destinations" I get lots of different lists but very few with Thailand or Cambodia in it.

For me: I just can repeat: I never felt unsave and I go rather to Bangkok or PP in the middle of the night than Brussels, Amsterdam, New York or some other Western big city. And about the traffic: Just act wise and dont do folish things!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

james1234 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:49 pm PP and its traffic seem to be more hectic and chaotic than the rest of Cambodia.

The driving is pretty awful wherever you go, but for most of the time the capital is too grid-locked for anyone to pick up much speed. Once you get on the open roads people drive much faster, and that's where most of the carnage is.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ta158
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by ta158 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:45 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 pm Dangerous.... try parts of La, london, New York, El Salvador etc etc.
yeah i feel safer in Asia than i do in the UK
https://youtu.be/IirUMcqKEMU
https://youtu.be/b8L0sIrjOzc
https://youtu.be/AUFNzLq3Cm4
Figures show that a knife or blade was used in a crime every 16 minutes on average last year.

The number of incidents involving machetes has risen by more than 60% over the last 3 years in England and Wales according to Freedom of Information request responses from just over half of police forces. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-387522 ... or-younger
One machete crime every 90 minutes on Britain's streets http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... reets.html

Thailand population - 68 million - 3,000 - 4,500 murders (at least 3,000 was gun murder the rest all forms of murder)

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... d-10124114
UK population - 66 million - 627 murders.

1 out of 10 murders in thailand end up on thai news in english so it might seem like there is not that many murders, same as robberies and such, many violent crimes dont even make it up on thai news, crime is underreported in thailand and police is not doing a great job keeping track of crime statistics....
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I've been living in Thailand for 14 years now, I feel it is no unsafe or rather dangerous. I work for a proper company paddling roofing screws. Proper as in the company import screws, pay tax, the company sells screws pay tax, the company do not involve in any illegal stuff, simply said a model company/citizen. I have to drive in my car from province to province, district to district, village to village, shop to shop paddling my hardware goods, I have never encountered any dangerous situation other than some dangerous driving on the roads but never encountered any quarrelling nor fighting nor killing, not that it did not happen rather it did not happen to me at least.

I am not saying this is the safest place on earth, God forbid. Point is if one lives a normal life, minding one's own business, do not get involve in illegal activities and finally simply be smart, don't get oneself in compromising situation for example getting drunk and simply be smart not stupid, everywhere should be safe.

Sawasdee krup

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Thailand "Most Dangerous Tourist Destination"

Post by newkidontheblock »

Brazil is one of the safest tourist destinations? I think romanticized public perception is dominating the results. Walk into flavella around Rio and feel the safeness.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:53 am Brazil is one of the safest tourist destinations? I think romanticized public perception is dominating the results. Walk into flavella around Rio and feel the safeness.
Google:
In 2016, Brazil had a record 61,819 murders or on average 198 murders per day, giving a homicide rate of 29.9 per 100,000 population
placing Brazil in the top 20 countries by intentional homicide rate
Invictus
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Invictus »

I disagree. I just came from South Africa. You can get killed in that country within minutes of leaving the airport! The US Embassy even requires its Diplomats to use armored vehicles if they arrive to OR Tambo after dark.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Invictus wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:50 am I disagree. I just came from South Africa. You can get killed in that country within minutes of leaving the airport! The US Embassy even requires its Diplomats to use armored vehicles if they arrive to OR Tambo after dark.
Done many trips to SA, never felt unsafe.
Invictus
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Invictus »

I lived there for three years, had three co-workers murdered, more friends and colleagues mugged or their homes broken into, or their cars stolen than I care to count, and lived in a fortified cage!
The country continues to suffer cash-in-transit robberies at the rate of 2 per day. The poor guys in the armored vehicles rarely make it out a live. I'm glad you had many safe trips to SA, the scenery is breathtaking. But after dark, the Zombies come out...............
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic