SECOND culture shock?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: SECOND culture shock?

Post by StroppyChops »

that genius wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:21 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:15 pm In case anyone's wondering, there's no agenda with this thread, I'm just free-thinking and verbalising.
Strictly speaking, if you're posting, you're not really verbalising.
Thanks for correcting me - now I'm emoting.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

that genius wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:15 pm I don't think I could stand a week in suburbia in the west..empty streets and CBDs on weekends, nanny-state rules

Je suis Khmerized, not totally happy about it, but undeniable
haha this
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:31 pm Having lived in several different countries I've yet to experience any form of culture shock at all and suspect the term is only used by those who like to impress their friends over lattes as to how brave they've been venturing out into the big bad world. Or maybe those that might use the term perhaps didn't do any sort of research at all as to where they were going.I have never heard the term "culture shock" used in any form by anyone in or near my company which probably suggests myself and everyone I've ever known have been expatriate bad asses, or more likely, it's a term used only used by those who read the pages of "Venturing Out Into The Big World How Brave Am I?" magazine.

I agree with you, but in India sometimes it's kind of culture shock...
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

that genius wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:15 pm I don't think I could stand a week in suburbia in the west..empty streets and CBDs on weekends, nanny-state rules
I had an Indian workmate in Australia who'd been paired up via an arranged marriage. She was telling me about her arrival in Sydney, sitting alone in a house in the suburbs, with no cars, no people and how surreal and lonely it was (which, compared to India, it really would be). But then she said she'd "hit the jackpot" with her husband, so I guess it wasn't all bad.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

cannabistourist wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:01 pm I agree with you, but in India sometimes it's kind of culture shock...
Kolkata is the only city on earth that as I've arrived, I've deeply regretted it and wanted to leave immediately. Turned out to not be a bad intuition - dangerous place.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 pm
cannabistourist wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:01 pm I agree with you, but in India sometimes it's kind of culture shock...
Kolkata is the only city on earth that as I've arrived, I've deeply regretted it and wanted to leave immediately. Turned out to not be a bad intuition - dangerous place.
You may also want to avoid Chennai as well then, what a shithole. Delhi and Mumbai I don't mind. Prefer out of the big cities though: e.g. Goa and Kerala (getting OT sorry)
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:26 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 pm
You may also want to avoid Chennai as well then, what a shithole. Delhi and Mumbai I don't mind. Prefer out of the big cities though: e.g. Goa and Kerala (getting OT sorry)
As I was preparing to leave to the airport I literally watched a crew lining me up for at least a mugging, in one of those fish-eye security mirrors, even the taxi driver was in on it. I ran out into the traffic with my baggage and jumped into a random taxi, who had fortunately slowed to see if I wanted a ride, and yelled for the driver to go. Every day I was in that city was as dangerous.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:26 pm
Arget wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Given your movements - mining sector, security or military?
Immigration.
In many places I went some people would always compare it with "home" The food, beer whatever.
Then there is the ones who convert evrything back to Aus dollars.

I have always lived by the saying FIFO when ever I have been sent for work or chosen to go.
No it does not stand for Fly in Fly out.

It means Fit in or Fuck off. Same applies to people coming here =@
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Arget wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:06 pm I have always lived by the saying FIFO when ever I have been sent for work or chosen to go.
No it does not stand for Fly in Fly out.

It means Fit in or Fuck off. Same applies to people coming here =@
I've heard that once or twice.
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by k*rm*geddon »

I first meandered through Southeast Asia in 1974.
If there was even a twinge of culture shock it translated only into excitement and wonderment.

Re. those Westerners who cluster, perhaps it was because I journeyed alone that I always felt as one with the various countries and peoples I interacted with on that initial trip. The locals were only too ready to approach a single traveller, whereas if I'd been with another Westerner or in a group of such then perhaps they may have steered well clear.
MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic