Overstays MUST be paid in Phnom Penh or airport, can't pay at land borders anymore

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Overstays MUST be paid in Phnom Penh or airport, can't pay at land borders anymore

Post by phuketrichard »

from FB

https://www.facebook.com/metasvisa/

'Please be advised that effective from today visa overstay fines, currently $10 per day, cannot be paid at the border. You may be turned back from the border and not allowed to leave Cambodia until your fine is paid. This new directive still applies even if you have already paid for a visa for the country you wish to enter. If you are concerned that you may have remained in Cambodia beyond the expiry date of your current visa please come to see us before you try to leave Cambodia! Do not delay coming to see us as our staff are able to advise you on your individual visa requirements and the visa extension process.'
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Overstays MUST be paid in Phnom Pehn or airport,cant pay at land boarders anymore

Post by angkorjohn »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:34 am from FB

https://www.facebook.com/metasvisa/

I'd wait for something more official. That lady in Kampot likes to peddle sensational stories to get people going only to backpedal when clearer information arises.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Overstays MUST be paid in Phnom Pehn or airport,cant pay at land boarders anymore

Post by fax »

Isn't that the same woman who very recently claimed to have had a bunch of passports and dozens of thousands of dollars stolen? She was issuing warrants and stuff looking for some bushman.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Someone said they needed the help of a "high rank7ng immigration official" to get their passport returned from this agent.
olivier.morandi wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:21 pm Was it meta visas? I went there and after 3 weeks i only got my passport back due to the intervention of a high rank7ng immigration official that i knew personnally, but with no visa extension. Had a receipt, and she did not dare withholding the money. The immigration guy was riding her hard! Just 5ell me if it was meta, mrs lai, please
They apparently lost hundreds of passports and thousands of dollars last year.

A search returns a lot of false info. Sensational stories seem to be the norm for this one, yes. Better tread with caution because this agent seems very sketchy.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

fax wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:54 am Someone said they needed the help of a "high rank7ng immigration official" to get their passport returned from this agent.
olivier.morandi wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:21 pm Was it meta visas? I went there and after 3 weeks i only got my passport back due to the intervention of a high rank7ng immigration official that i knew personnally, but with no visa extension. Had a receipt, and she did not dare withholding the money. The immigration guy was riding her hard! Just 5ell me if it was meta, mrs lai, please
They apparently lost hundreds of passports and thousands of dollars last year.

A search returns a lot of false info. Sensational stories seem to be the norm for this one, yes. Better tread with caution because this agent seems very sketchy.
Yeah correct, she was out of the country conveniently when all this happened and the people did a runner. It was all very dodgy, a few buddies in Kampot had a similar experience to you and tried to raise it on the KP noticeboard, but as she is one of the sacred cows of KP their complaints mysteriously disappeared. Anything for a quick buck. Saw a few weeks back she was saying "visas taking up to 4 weeks plus, not my fault but make sure you get the visa early" wonder if that was true or just a way for some quick money.

Also as the land border is so close to KP makes ya wonder if this is another story to get people in. Although in this case any loser who does get an overstay fine deserves what they get, unlesss it was because Meta visa kept the passport too long!!! :stir:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Probably a scam. Pay her, arrive at the border and find you have to pay again as the paperwork you have been given ain't worth sht. People who have overstayed by a few days won't want to overstay any more and incur an even greater penalty/fine. So they pay up, whine, grumble but forget about it in a few days. Meanwhile, the lady keeps reeling in the suckers.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

:please: :facepalm:

ur missing the point and the post is NOT about if meta scams people or not, she is merely pointing out what she heard..
On her fb page which i linked;
this letter information sent to us thruoghtout our big contact in visa immigration

Update news for over stay on visa !!from monday any overstay will not allow to pay at any border crossing ,all over stay have to request payment in pp imigration first before you allow to leave the country !!
what i got is that you can not longer go to the land border and pay an overstay fee but must do it in advance.

So can ANYONE confirm or deny this??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:09 pm :please: :facepalm:

ur missing the point and the post is NOT about if meta scams people or not, she is merely pointing out what she heard..
this letter information sent to us thruoghtout our big contact in visa immigration

Update news for over stay on visa !!from monday any overstay will not allow to pay at any border crossing ,all over stay have to request payment in pp imigration first before you allow to leave the country !!
what i got is that you can not longer go to the land border and pay an overstay fee but must do it in advance.

Think you are missing the point PR. Nothing Meta usually says is true so considering there is nothing in the news or anywhere else we can conclude this is in the "not true" basket :beer3:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:09 pm :please: :facepalm:

theyre not missing the point, theyre just rightfully pointing out that this woman isnt a reliable source of information and have been giving examples and people should wait until an official announcement
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
violet
Expatriate

Re: Overstays MUST be paid in Phnom Penh or airport, can't pay at land borders anymore

Post by violet »

Wouldn't surprise me though...that this change comes in to force.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic