Long Term Visa Questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Nobby Stiles
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Long Term Visa Questions

Post by Nobby Stiles »

Hi all.

Ive just joined this community and this is my first post, in the last few years I've started visiting Cambodia again after a 15 year absence, 6 months per year of that time was spent in the Philippines but now for various reasons i'm not only looking at Cambodia as a place to spend 6 Months per year, I'm looking to relocate there full-time.
When i first visited Cambodia in 2003 the visa system seemed easy enough for a British passport holder to stay in country indefinitely but now it seems things have changed and I'm really confused.

My situation is that i hope to be ready to relocate in around 3 months, i will arrive in Cambodia unemployed but with a decent monthly return from rental in the uk, also once i arrive and settle in i have one foot in the door of a job working online that just requires a decent internet connection and relevant qualifications.
So i think I'm right in saying getting a 6 month visa, which is a looking for a job visa, sorry I'm not familiar with the exact visa names, is easy to obtain but then its a grey area after that initial 6 months?

How easy or hard is it to obtain a work permit if i was successful in applying for this job and technically working freelance there???
Or can anyone recommend other options available to me?
Any info is greatly received even though i realise after my own investigation prior to joining here is that information is vague. Leaving the country every 2 months and potentially working on a tourist visa are options I'm sure but certainly not ideal.

Thanks for listening and sorry for the thread hijack! Put it down to a thick noobie!

Mr N Stiles.
Last edited by Nobby Stiles on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Nobby Stiles wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:56 am Hi all.

Ive just joined this community and this is my first post, in the last few years I've started visiting Cambodia again after a 15 year absence, 6 months per year of that time was spent in the Philippines but now for various reasons i'm not only looking at Cambodia as a place to spend 6 Months per year, I'm looking to relocate there full-time.
When i first visited Cambodia in 2003 the visa system seemed easy enough for a British passport holder to stay in country indefinitely but now it seems things have changed and I'm really confused.

My situation is that i hope to be ready to relocate in around 3 months, i will arrive in Cambodia unemployed but with a decent monthly return from rental in the uk, also once i arrive and settle in i have one foot in the door of a job working online that just requires a decent internet connection and relevant qualifications.
So i think I'm right in saying getting a 6 month visa, which is a looking for a job visa, sorry I'm not familiar with the exact visa names, is easy to obtain but then its a grey area after that initial 6 months?

How easy or hard is it to obtain a work permit if i was successful in applying for this job and technically working freelance there???
Or can anyone recommend other options available to me?
Any info is greatly received even though i realise after my own investigation prior to joining here is that information is vague. Leaving the country every 2 months and potentially working on a tourist visa are options I'm sure but certainly not ideal.

Thanks for listening and sorry for the thread hijack! Put i down to a thick noobie!

Mr N Stiles.
Hey mate,
the "looking for work visa" is an "EG visa extension"
i think there is a way to go down the "freelance/online worker" route, some other posters might be more informed though... @PSD-Kiwi
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hello OP,
At least two things are (more or less) certain here -
1/ PSD- Kiwi is not talking out of his arse.
2/ as he says the conditions and rules concerning visas are shifting sands, and nobody can predict from one day to another what will be the conditions for visa extensions tomorrow.

The only thing you can do is to come over to Cambodia and see what happens - like a lot of expats already here. Yes, it's a huge risk, so maybe you want to postpone your move until the situation stabilises.

The only thing that is for sure right now is that we do not know. Cambodia is "special", in that the normal rules don't apply. Wait and see. And if you want to see how fast the rules change and how confused everyone is, read all the other threads here from people asking about visas .
Hope that helps to answer your question.
Best AM
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Just a quick heads up, read from multiple places now that visa overstays are not allowed to pay at the border and leave the country anymore. Visa overstays need to be settled Before going to a bordercrossing otherwise you will not be allowed to leave.
just noise, white noise
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

hello,

But can overstay be paid at airport ?

And does anybody have experience with long time overstay ?
Is there a maximum fine as in Thailand and a ban ?
Or if you can pay what they want you can leave and come back ?

Thank you.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

whiteribbon wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:02 pm Just a quick heads up, read from multiple places now that visa overstays are not allowed to pay at the border and leave the country anymore. Visa overstays need to be settled Before going to a bordercrossing otherwise you will not be allowed to leave.
It sounds like the Ministry of Immigration might have some doubts about the honesty of their border personnel.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Overstays can still be paid at airports, not sure about land border crossings.

$10 per/day, no further action if overstay is under 30 days.

30 days +, still $10 per day and possible blacklisting (if you "turn yourself in")

30 days +, if caught involuntarily, imprisonment, deportation, $10 p/d fine, blacklisting
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Thank you. Any real feedback of blacklisting for overstay ? Or does it always end by paying and forget the ban ?

And how can somebody be caught when overstaying in Cambodia, if not looking for problems ? It's not like Thailand where the retarded rats/monkeys in uniform who should be shot dead, keep checking people to pretend that they are honest and not corrupt assholes like the whole country.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

How about using a little common dog-fuck (sense)...

Keep your visa EOSs up to date and you'll have nothing to worry about!
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

cannabistourist wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:50 pm
And how can somebody be caught when overstaying in Cambodia, if not looking for problems ?
Depends where you live I think, here in a small town like Kep the police come to check up on me regularly, so they will know when my visa needs to be renewed. In a bigger city like pp or kampot I don't think this happens that much.
just noise, white noise
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic