No more visa runs for thai expats

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: No more visa runs for thai expats

Post by Alex »

Ttr wrote: As usual the Thaivisa retards bring a lot of speculation, bullshit, and "holier than thou" attitudes to what is still an uncertain situation, you should ignore them.
Right, that's a given. Many things can happen, some crackdowns die down rather quickly and others stick around a little longer. We'll see.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

There's already been at least one entry refusal and subsequent deportation

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-new ... visa/29391

Apparently, they don't just turn you back but detain you at Immigration. It seems that 'suspicion' of working illegally is an adequate reason for them to 'take action' in these kinds of cases.

We know that tourist numbers are dwindling in Thailand but I haven't seen anything regarding expat numbers. I would imagine though that there is an overall decrease, given the last decade plus of slow decline that the kingdom has been experiencing and the mess that the place has become.

Back in those idyllic days, there was very little competition from Thailand's neighbours (Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, not to mention China) and Thailand was known for the 'mai pen rai' attitude. Those are two major things that have changed in addition to the over-developed destinations, polluted environment, inflation/rising cost of living, 90-day check-ins, scams, safety issues, violent crime, etc. You would think it would be enough to keep both tourists and expats away, but they still keep on coming (and leaving).

Anyway, Cambodia will probably be picking up some of the slack, but not all. These days clever, talented expats have more choices, both in SE Asia and around the world.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

sigmoid wrote: We know that tourist numbers are dwindling in Thailand...
Visitor numbers many fluctuate quite a bit year to year depending on the local political climate and world economy...but tourist numbers to Thailand are still huge. When the tens of millions of unmarried Chinese men start to discover sex tourism, they will more than make up for the lost arrivals from recession-hit Europe the past few years. Pattaya was chock-a-block with English and Germans a decade ago, and is full of Russians and Indians now, but a decade from now it will be a mainly Chinese tourist-driven resort town.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sigmoid wrote:There's already been at least one entry refusal and subsequent deportation

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-new ... visa/29391

Apparently, they don't just turn you back but detain you at Immigration. It seems that 'suspicion' of working illegally is an adequate reason for them to 'take action' in these kinds of cases.

We know that tourist numbers are dwindling in Thailand but I haven't seen anything regarding expat numbers. I would imagine though that there is an overall decrease, given the last decade plus of slow decline that the kingdom has been experiencing and the mess that the place has become.

Back in those idyllic days, there was very little competition from Thailand's neighbours (Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, not to mention China) and Thailand was known for the 'mai pen rai' attitude. Those are two major things that have changed in addition to the over-developed destinations, polluted environment, inflation/rising cost of living, 90-day check-ins, scams, safety issues, violent crime, etc. You would think it would be enough to keep both tourists and expats away, but they still keep on coming (and leaving).

Anyway, Cambodia will probably be picking up some of the slack, but not all. These days clever, talented expats have more choices, both in SE Asia and around the world.
The above Russian was not allowed in cause she was exactly what thye were looking for, she was working for Sea bees divers for over a year.

This new system is being well received an only applies to those that cant get their shit together to get a proper visa ( I just applied for a wp for my Cambodian GF)

It will not affect "tourists" at all. Nor those that use the visa exempt entry correctly

I recall back in the 80's we had to have tax clearance every time we left the country after being in the country for over 180 days in a year!! and that cost 1,000 baht every time we left
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sigmoid wrote:We know that tourist numbers are dwindling in Thailand...
[/quote]

BULL; numbers are growing yearly, a mere 3 years ago they were under 20, million now up to over 24, ( lots more Chinese and Russians)
and no one likes either group

Their just getting ready for ASEAN
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Coincidentally, I've gotten 2 reports that the prices of Regular Visas for Cambodia have gone up a little lately, and take A WEEK to process.

Supposedly because of a new official in charge. Being Cambodia, we'll just have to wait and see...
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Just in

Poi Pet ( no word from other Thai /Cambodian borders) as usual makes their own rules

1. Today Poi Pet border gave extension only 7 days... new rules .

2. If someone first time never been to poi pet before immigration will extend only 7 days.

3. If you have Tourist visa, Double entry ,Non-O Multiple ,Non-B ( multiple ) you can cross

4. Without Thai visa stamp only 7 days

This is Bangkok buddy's english NOT mine so grammar Nazis fuck off

information from Bangkok Buddy Travel Service Co.,Ltd, a tour operator based in Sukhumvit Soi 12, that also confirms the news regarding Poipet border officials only issuing a seven day entry stamp to individuals who are not in possession of a valid tourist visa or non-immigrant visa.

So Martial law;
Thais happy about that
NO government
NO fighting in the streets
STOP those abusing the system for visas.

Whats next?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

phuketrichard wrote:This is Bangkok buddy's english NOT mine so grammar Nazis fuck off
Would you like to buy some punctuation? ;)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

The visa enforcement is the right way forward whatever the motivations are for doing it. One thing I don't know though is whether land crossing visas count in the tourist arrivals data, if they do tourist numbers must be fairly overstated due to the regular visa run border hoppers.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

General Mackevili wrote:Coincidentally, I've gotten 2 reports that the prices of Regular Visas for Cambodia have gone up a little lately, and take A WEEK to process.

Supposedly because of a new official in charge. Being Cambodia, we'll just have to wait and see...
$163 for the extension for me for 6 months a week ago at Lucky. Though I thought I heard something about the Tourist Visa's being more, but it might have just been Tourists getting gouged.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic