Renewing a UK passport in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Renewing a UK passport in Cambodia

Post by walkjivefly »

mcam wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:56 am
walkjivefly wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:20 pm
mcam wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:34 am I've just emailed to make an appointment to renew my passport and wondered if anyone had done this recently. I've understand I need a colour photocopy of every page, 2 photos and my current passport. What have people provided as proof of address? I have a rental agreement in English is that enough?
Did you get a reply from VFS yet? I've emailed them 5 times in the last 2 weeks for a UK passport appointment and been ignored every time.
Just replied to me this morning and gave me an appointment.
How far into the future were your choices? I'll have to try again in a couple of weeks when I get my passport back...
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

I had one for next week and 2 choices for the 1st week of July. They gave me the one for next week
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

Cheers.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

Quick update. My new passport is now in Cambodia. Very efficient service and only took 10 days.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

mcam wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:45 am I had one for next week and 2 choices for the 1st week of July. They gave me the one for next week
How quickly did you get the appointment confirmation email? I've got several of the automatic replies saying send your name and 3 preferred times (always within a few seconds) but absolutely no confirmation emails (even after days/weeks).
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

I got that auto reply and then waited over 1 week with no response so I replied to the auto reply email and got a response within a couple of days.
Jodiesheppard2
Tourist

Post by Jodiesheppard2 »

jimpson wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:36 pm Further to the request as to how long it took to get the new passport I was delighted to find that it only took just over a week although I was told at the time of applying that it could take 3 to 4 weeks.

Hey Jimpson.
Did you have to make an original appointment with VFS? If so, how did you do it?
I have to renew my passport asap and I cannot get hold of the embassy at all.
Hoping I can just turn up at VFS.

Thank you
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Maybe read the whole thread.
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

I note that you have been trying to contact the embassy - FORGET IT they don't deal with passports! In fact I doubt whether they actually deal with British subjects.

You need to make an appointment with the VFS Service in Phnom Penh Tower by e-mail using the same system as a non British person who is making an appointment for a visa to uk. If you are finding that difficult then you can take your passport to the VFS Office and the security guard will let you go in. This will NOT be your appointment to renew your visa BUT they will assist you to make the appointment.

Once you get the appointment the whole process is painless but expensive.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I am about to start the process of getting a new uk passport and this thread has confirmed a couple of things i read on the official uk .gov passport website.

I am first going to get a fresh 1 year visa and i will post my experiences here to add to the database of searchable info thar others, like me, are looking for.
I have downloaded the relative document's and advice sheets and will be printing them out for ease if reading tomorrow.

The last time i did this was in 2013 or 14... i forget exactly and as my passport is away for visa renewal i can't check, but, the new process appears easier than last time. But, we will see. Also, this time i will get the extra pages version!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic