CEO rules, playing nice and karma

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: CEO rules, playing nice and karma

Post by Joon »

Well on that massive forum, they have a plethora of mods and pretty clear and strict rules. But most of the users over there are gentle, naive souls kids so they do not discuss such sensitive and polarizing topics.

The mods will also review the reasons given by users when they give rep points so they can restore points if they judge that the reasons are bollocks. This system would require both self-management and committed, honest mods.

I personally don't give or take out Karma that much, but when I do I really mean it.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Couldn't you just program some sort of system so we could send extremely painful electric shocks to the keyboards of posters we don't like?

Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Dara wrote:Rain Dog is hesitant about censorship being the answer.

He may be thinking......if you start, where do you stop.

Money is not allowed as a topic as it is in poor taste and makes
vlad uncomfortable. vlad wants it banned and will do whatever it takes.

And sex. It is handled carefully now, but isn't that a topic that could
blow up ? So no nightlife section. k440 never allowed it for that reason.

And if you censor all the topics that could cause a problem, the posters
that want to cause a problem will do that on a geese thread.
really! A remark made there almost blew up.

Fair point Dara, I am more than hesitant about censorship being the answer. That said it is up to the forum management to decide what type of forum they want. There is nothing wrong with having a "warm, fuzzy" forum but that would most likely mean avoiding topics of politics and religion. This might be a form of censorship but at least it is balanced, so no one POV is given preference over another.

Where I have a problem is that if one POV or ideology is given preference due to personal affinity or whatever and those challenging it are harassed or banned then that becomes a far more malicious form of censorship.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Soi Dog wrote:Couldn't you just program some sort of system so we could send extremely painful electric shocks to the keyboards of posters we don't like?

Forum Tasers lol

Don't Tase me Bro!!!!!!!!
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

A + / - system on another forum was maybe the reason for it becoming quieter, as people just voted, instead of posting. And as it was anonymous, it caused some childish behaviour, like going back through years of threads to vote on an enemy or friend.

I don't give negative karma. I only got one neg, and it pissed me off a bit that the guy didn't have the " guts" to say what he thought in the thread. If he wanted to say something daft, then post it in public.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

every once in a while i'm tempted to reset the karma bucket (after backing it up) just to see everyone shit their pants. usually i've been drinking or am very bored.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

maybe instead of "top active users" at the bottom of the homepage based on post counts, we should have it based on karma points.

sort of a leaderboard. it would make it have more "meaning" i think, and maybe discourage those seeking to get maximum negative.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Soi Dog wrote:Every time I took away someone's karma they got angry and then posted about it and started hurling personal insults. Then you have the occasional jackass who craves the honor of having the most negative karma and behaves accordingly. For this reason I no longer use the karma function.

I agree with phuketrichard's idea of a like and dislike button (or youtube-style thumbs up and thumbs down) next to each post. It's less personal and more related to particular comments. But regardless, I agree with Giblet. We should all make an effort to let things go, and not feel the need to win every online argument. Get your point across and then let the last-word freaks have their day.
Yes, I'd prefer a Reddit-style +/- on each post, which I think would make it less personal than the karma feature and more about the specific post in question.
taranis
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by taranis »

404 Not Known
Last edited by taranis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Forgives. I don't!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

let me qualify this thread with this statement: these are some fantastic ideas... i'm tracking them all... and once i get settled after the move and have some time, we'll talk about implementing them.

my goal/plan for the implementation is to take a poll... the top 2 of the poll will get put in place, we'll test them for a while... get feedback/etc... then look at more/different solutions if desired.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic