Changing oil and maintenance of a Cambodian scooter

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Changing oil and maintenance of a Cambodian scooter

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:05 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:33 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:54 am
superferret wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21 am I'm new to scooters and recently purchased a Yamaha Taurus 114 cc underbone, no idea what year but it was registered in 2012
The speedometer is not working, so possible the odometer is also not working.
Anyone know how often I'm supposed to change the oil on these things and is there anything else I need to do for routine maintenance?
It's a manual bike. Also it says on the registration card Type: Srey (i.e. woman) what does that mean?
I heard the oil change is 5 dollars, is that correct?

Thanks
If you have any problem with the battery get a Yuasa from around Orussey Market for about $10. Yamaha batteries are expensive.
How do the genuine Yamaha battery prices compare with the Yuasa one?

Do all Yamaha scooters have the same type/model of battery if you get a Yuasa?

What is the average life expectancy of a new battery these days?

If you do a lot of short trips, do people find they have to occasionally do a longer trip to maintain the battery charge? Or is that a sign the battery is on the way out?
Genuine Yamaha battery for Taurus/Jupiter bikes were $30. I bought my bike new and the battery lasted about 3 years. I replaced with a Yuasa, they seem to last at least 2. I am on my second Yuasa and have had the bike probably about 6.5 years. Note it is parked outside in the car park.

The bike starts first or second time even if I don't use it for a few days. You shouldn't need to do a longer trip to charge up the battery. If the starting gets sluggish the battery is on the way out. When that happened to me I just slung it and replaced. The Yuasa 12v is the same size and looks the same as the original.
Thanks muchly Kuroneko..yuh, my battery is coming up to 3 yrs so sounds like time to replace.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic