DNA testing and Khmers...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

DNA testing and Khmers...

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Just to start of new topic that may be of interest to some....

So my son had his DNA tested (he is half Khmer). It's frustrating that they were not more specific on the Southeast Asia DNA (I suspect not enough data). Since my wife is from area of Cambodia that has had lots of Burmese influence It would have been nice to have more specific data. The European side of the testing is much more detailed.

For those curious on the Asian DNA side of things

31 % Asia East
11 % Asia South
6 % Polynesia
2 % Melanesia

This was done Acenstry.com testing.

Has anyone else had DNA testing done on Kids/Spouse/Yourself?
What, Me worry?
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: DNA testing and Khmers...

Post by pissontheroof »

i would like to get testing on a little dude im sure is my kid if the mother cooperates , which there is more of a chance she wont . Legalities ? .. cost ? is testing only available in ( inconvenient) Pp ? procedure ? 🤷🏽‍♂️ couldn't blood or some sample taken anywhere and submitted for testing ? i had this bookmarked earlier . ..
👉🏿 topic20512.html .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Which part of Cambodia has lots of Burmese influence? Interesting, never knew that. Anybody have any reading matter on that?
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

that genius wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:43 am Which part of Cambodia has lots of Burmese influence? Interesting, never knew that. Anybody have any reading matter on that?
OP could be talking about the Kola people in Pailin province. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kula_people_(Asia)
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

In The Pol Pot Regime, Ben Kiernan writes that "the ethnic Khmer, Chinese, and Vietnamese populations in Pailin were evacuated on 26 April 1975, but the Kola remained behind another week. Then they were evacuated on 1 May. Their fate is uncertain. In 1979, no traces of them could be found. A Kola woman living abroad found that of forty relatives, thirty-nine had been killed or died in Democratic Kampuchea; one survived and fled to Thailand."
Cougar.hunter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cougar.hunter »

prahocalypse now wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:02 am In The Pol Pot Regime, Ben Kiernan writes that "the ethnic Khmer, Chinese, and Vietnamese populations in Pailin were evacuated on 26 April 1975, but the Kola remained behind another week. Then they were evacuated on 1 May. Their fate is uncertain. In 1979, no traces of them could be found. A Kola woman living abroad found that of forty relatives, thirty-nine had been killed or died in Democratic Kampuchea; one survived and fled to Thailand."
That is really sad. My great grandmother is Kola from Sisaphon and the last person who spoke the Kola language in my family was my grandma ( I don't think she fluent in it though).

For some reason my family say we are part Thai Kola rather than just Kola, but that's probably because my great grandmother parents immigrated from Thailand rather than Myanmar.

Sad to say, we only know 1 Kola family and they're in the USA, and we have never met another Kola person in Cambodia.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

there were also a few Kola ppl in Ratanakiri digging zircon pre KR.
they were in Pailin for the ruby and sapphire.
the pagoda in Pailin is Burmese.
the gems brought them to Cambodia
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

You folks are right on! Pailin province it was. Thanks for the info and links :)

I have fun occasionally calling my wife "my lovely Bermese Bride"".
She said that NONE of the people currently in Pailin are originally from there. That everyone left because of the KR, everyone that returned was new. Not sure how accurate that is since she has been back only one time (2006).
What, Me worry?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Re the DNA profiling by ancestry, 23 and me, my heritage, etc. Each service only compares your test to their own database of past tests and give you an estimate. Ancestry have the biggest database of 7,000,000 records, but the fewer the tests of Khmer and or SEA people the less accurate the results will be.

I think all the services let you download your DNA profile and upload it to other services.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic