Carpe diem

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Carpe diem

Post by Soi Dog »

Nice enough motivational slogan, but what the hell does it really mean? What activities qualify as "seizing the day" and which ones are utterly useless wastes of our lives? YOU are reading this on an internet forum (as opposed to running with the bulls or going Brazilian bear hunting or base-jumping from tall buildings and such). Does surfing the net qualify? Or did you just get back from a rigorous and fulfilling day of seizing, and now just want to chill out and not seize anything further? How about reading a good book? Can one ever seize the day whilst watching reruns of the awful American 1970's TV sitcom 3's Company?
If that is what you did today, maybe you can still carpe noctem.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Carpe diem

Post by Joon »

That's just the more cultured and erudite version of YOLO. ;)

I personally live by that principle as much as possible. It sums up as taking risks, but calculated risks, though it is more applied to my personal, family and social life than my professional life.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah I also see it as meaning "take calculated risks". Not really meant to be done on a daily basis obviously, more of a motivation when you're being a pussy about doing something (should I stick my penis in this blender?).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: ...more of a motivation when you're being a pussy about doing something (should I stick my penis in this blender?).
:shock: :?:

Not it at all, really. But don't let me deter you....

Carpe dickem.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic