Man sells cafe belonging to someone else...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Man sells cafe belonging to someone else...

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:14 pm a new twist from FB
Karen Simon Reed shared a link to the group: Kampot Noticeboard.
1 hr ·

So glad that Ellie and Ed are not letting their tragedy keep them from moving forward. Happy to hear there is a campaign to get Ellie's 2.0 up and going. I appreciate how you presented the budget/ how the funds would be used. Wishing you well!
My name is Ellie Gleeson, and together with my co-investor Ed Weinberg I lost the business I started in Cambodia in 2013. I lost it by trusting our café’s manager and my former friend, who systematically deceived us while preparing to sell our business. Two months ago, he received $30,000 in cash for our furniture, kitchen equipment and for facilitating a lease transfer on the home of Ellie’s café, after which he fled Cambodia to points unknown.
read more on the gofund me page

https://www.gofundme.com/help-us-rebuil ... tolen-cafe

OK:
personally i feel bad for her, but no way would i fund someone else s business,
but thats just me
If i was going to help someone it would be a poor khmer that was fucked over

PS: there trying to raise $9,000 which is what they feel they need to get back up and running,
than why did someone pay $30,000?
the $30k is what the guy who sold her buisness got for the " furniture, kitchen equipment and for facilitating a lease transfer "
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Regarding the mystery person that paid $30k for the business.
Where do they fit into the current picture ?
bartender3042
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by bartender3042 »

offroadscholar wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 am Regarding the mystery person that paid $30k for the business.
From what I understand, they are busily rebranding the place and due to open soon.
I think they are trying not to get any more caught up in this.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

bartender3042 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:45 am
offroadscholar wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 am Regarding the mystery person that paid $30k for the business.
From what I understand, they are busily rebranding the place and due to open soon.
I think they are trying not to get any more caught up in this.
If they are holding a valid lease I can't see that it's their problem. The actual asset itself is still in the hands of the landlord. The chattels were the things sold.
ditto_auswtz
Tourist
United States of America

Post by ditto_auswtz »

Sorry.
Not gonna donate a dime.
Pretty convinced if he wouldn't have sold it and made a runner they would've never shown up back in town.
They would've never wanted to open Ellie's 2.0 neither. Ellie was neglected for over a year, the Gofundme image she's portraying is more than 2 years ago.

It was quite easy to be around the world while someone run's your business and sends you money.
She's already admitted herself she did want him to sell the business.
With no mention of re-opening that cafe anywhere else.

Now she doesn't have money so all of a sudden she wants to re-open it and acting as if she never planned to sell?!?!?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

ditto_auswtz wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:10 am Sorry.
Not gonna donate a dime.
Pretty convinced if he wouldn't have sold it and made a runner they would've never shown up back in town.
They would've never wanted to open Ellie's 2.0 neither. Ellie was neglected for over a year, the Gofundme image she's portraying is more than 2 years ago.

It was quite easy to be around the world while someone run's your business and sends you money.
She's already admitted herself she did want him to sell the business.
With no mention of re-opening that cafe anywhere else.

Now she doesn't have money so all of a sudden she wants to re-open it and acting as if she never planned to sell?!?!?
Yes. I found it odd that after wanting to sell it, she now wants money to open another.

Raise money. Open. Sell at too high a price to another naive buyer. Recoup a little of the loss.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
jimsocks
Expatriate

Post by jimsocks »

i don't understand. you buy property, you have to the government building. i meet at least 2-3 guys sign paperwork, thumbprints, witnesses, bring a few cops with me to make sure its legit. i aint hard
Ashcroftie
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ashcroftie »

From the GoFundMe page: "the proceeds from my part of its sale were going to pay for my Master’s Degree in Psychology"

I know enough already.

From my experience, 99% of psychology students have mental issues themselves and certainly are no business (wo)men. Asking for funds to (re)start a BUSINESS already tells you that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic