Woman Claims Police Raided Tourist Bar on Pub Street in Siem Reap & Demanded $500 for their Release

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Woman Claims Police Raided Tourist Bar on Pub Street in Siem Reap & Demanded $500 for their Release

Post by General Mackevili »

A woman is going around on social media claiming that police raided a bar on Pub Street in Siem Reap and rounded up all the white people.

According to her boyfriend, they drove them around and detained them for 12 hours before finally releasing them after demanding $500.

Expats seem skeptical of her claims.

'Warning! Yesterday evening, the local police raided tourists. In a pub on the main street, organized a group of policemen or "policemen", arrested all the tourists (only tourists) staying there, on the charge of possession of drugs. They divided them into small groups and distributed around the city. After being held for 12 hours in custody, they managed $ 500 for the release. Watch out!'

Some noteworthy comments:

Ok.... but did they have drugs?

No! But no one cares!

If no then that is not right. But if they did.... it was a fair arrest.

What sort of pub? They can’t arrest you if you don’t have nothing?

Yes, they can. Try to say no...

Which pub?

Ordinary pub! No rasta bar or something...

Come on! They took only white tourists from the pub. They transported them in small groups around the city. They kept them in prison for 12 hours. They did not let them call. The drug test showed nothing. After 12 hours, they brought an interpreter who provided information about the "bail", 500 $ per person! Really?!

But you haven't said which pub it was.

I do not know which pub, because my boyfriend just got out of jail and now he sleeps. I'll let you know, if he remembers the name...

I think we need further detail - this sounds a bit odd. Hope all those arrested have had or will have the good sense to report this alleged incident to their respective embassies.

I think the picture will be much clearer once we know what bar these events took place in! If you know what I mean lol.

I am sooooh Happy, not living near the Pub und co Street

I don't get the point. If it's true, others will post here as well. Wait and see.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Woman Claims Police Raided Tourist Bar on Pub Street in Siem Reap & Demanded $500 for their Release

Post by hanno »

I'll let you know, if he remembers the name...
Like I wrote on TOF: sounds like complete BS. Boyfriend probably went on a 12-hour bender or they were indeed nailed for drugs.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Woman Claims Police Raided Tourist Bar on Pub Street in Siem Reap & Demanded $500 for their Release

Post by StroppyChops »

Sniff sniff ... smells like BS to me.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 pm Image
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
TheSiemReaper
Expatriate
Haiti

Post by TheSiemReaper »

sounds like someone had a wicked night out and had to find an excuse to explain to his GF where he was the last 12 hours and why all his money is gone
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic