Tap Water Opinions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Tap Water Opinions

Post by Duncan »

I have posted before about what I use, a water distiller and have been drinking distilled water for nearly twenty years. I have one here in Cambodia and one in Australia. For those that dont know it boils the water to 100 degrees c and the steam is condensed back to pure H2O having left everything behind that needs a higher temp of 100 degree c to evaporate.
When it turns itself off and cools down and you check the remains still in the container ,,,, in Cambodia there is very little contaminants left behind, but in Australia there is plenty , mostly aluminium sulfate, and chlorine which builds up on the inside lining and is as hard as steel .

The health profession have known about aluminium in cooking pots and canning since the 1950s so why is it dumped into our water supply. Alzheimer's ??? do your own research.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9Im6 ... jWY0FZJ4U-

In 2014, the link between Alzheimer’s disease and aluminum was largely unproven, but since then a lot has changed.

Link Between Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease and Aluminum Now Proven
For many years, scientists have claimed that a link between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease has existed. However, up until now, there has been little evidence to support their claims, which has left the scientific community confused.

However, according to scientists from Keele University in Staffordshire, recent studies have now confirmed that aluminum does play a role, in some, if not all, cases of Alzheimer’s disease.

In an article titled, Strong evidence linking Aluminum to Alzheimer’s, recently published on The Hippocratic Post website, Exley explained that:

“We already know that the aluminium content of brain tissue in late-onset or sporadic Alzheimer’s disease is significantly higher than is found in age-matched controls. So, individuals who develop Alzheimer’s disease in their late sixties and older also accumulate more aluminium in their brain tissue than individuals of the same age without the disease.

Even higher levels of aluminium have been found in the brains of individuals, diagnosed with an early-onset form of sporadic (usually late onset) Alzheimer’s disease, who have experienced an unusually high exposure to aluminium through the environment (e.g. Camelford) or through their workplace. This means that Alzheimer’s disease has a much earlier age of onset, for example, fifties or early sixties, in individuals who have been exposed to unusually high levels of aluminium in their everyday lives.”

His most recent study, published by the Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology in December 2016, titled: Aluminium in brain tissue in familial Alzheimer’s disease, is one of the many studies that he and his team have conducted on the subject of aluminum over the years. However, this study in particular is believed to be of significant value, because it is the first time that scientists have measured the level of aluminum in the brain tissue of individuals diagnosed with familial Alzheimer’s disease.

(Alzheimer’s disease or AD is considered to be familial if two or more people in a family suffer from the disease.)

According to their paper, the concentrations of aluminum found in brain tissue donated by individuals who died with a diagnosis of familial AD, was the highest level ever measured in human brain tissue.

Professor Exley wrote:

“We now show that some of the highest levels of aluminium ever measured in human brain tissue are found in individuals who have died with a diagnosis of familial Alzheimer’s disease.

The levels of aluminium in brain tissue from individuals with familial Alzheimer’s disease are similar to those recorded in individuals who died of an aluminium-induced encephalopathy while undergoing renal dialysis.”

He explained that:

“Familial Alzheimer’s disease is an early-onset form of the disease with first symptoms occurring as early as 30 or 40 years of age. It is extremely rare, perhaps 2-3% of all cases of Alzheimer’s disease. Its bases are genetic mutations associated with a protein called amyloid-beta, a protein which has been heavily linked with the cause of all forms of Alzheimer’s disease.

Individuals with familial Alzheimer’s disease produce more amyloid beta and the onset of the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease are much earlier in life.”
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:11 pm I have posted before about what I use, a water distiller and have been drinking distilled water for nearly twenty years. I have one here in Cambodia and one in Australia. For those that dont know it boils the water to 100 degrees c and the steam is condensed back to pure H2O having left everything behind that needs a higher temp of 100 degree c to evaporate.
When it turns itself off and cools down and you check the remains still in the container ,,,, in Cambodia there is very little contaminants left behind, but in Australia there is plenty , mostly aluminium sulfate, and chlorine which builds up on the inside lining and is as hard as steel .

I'm sure it's fine, but it could use a wipe down, Duncan.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

In Thailand the government since Abhisit time said its safe. Thais will tell him to drink and show us first. After that all was quiet.

Should do the same in Cambodia I think.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Duncan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:11 pm I have posted before about what I use, a water distiller and have been drinking distilled water for nearly twenty years. I have one here in Cambodia and one in Australia. For those that dont know it boils the water to 100 degrees c and the steam is condensed back to pure H2O having left everything behind that needs a higher temp of 100 degree c to evaporate.

The health profession have known about aluminium in cooking pots and canning since the 1950s so why is it dumped into our water supply. Alzheimer's ??? do your own research.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9Im6 ... jWY0FZJ4U-

In 2014, the link between Alzheimer’s disease and aluminum was largely unproven, but since then a lot has changed.

Link Between Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease and Aluminum Now Proven
For many years, scientists have claimed that a link between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease has existed. However, up until now, there has been little evidence to support their claims, which has left the scientific community confused.

However, according to scientists from Keele University in Staffordshire, recent studies have now confirmed that aluminum does play a role, in some, if not all, cases of Alzheimer’s disease.

In an article titled, Strong evidence linking Aluminum to Alzheimer’s, recently published on The Hippocratic Post website, Exley explained that:

“We already know that the aluminium content of brain tissue in late-onset or sporadic Alzheimer’s disease is significantly higher than is found in age-matched controls. So, individuals who develop Alzheimer’s disease in their late sixties and older also accumulate more aluminium in their brain tissue than individuals of the same age without the disease.

Even higher levels of aluminium have been found in the brains of individuals, diagnosed with an early-onset form of sporadic (usually late onset) Alzheimer’s disease, who have experienced an unusually high exposure to aluminium through the environment (e.g. Camelford) or through their workplace. This means that Alzheimer’s disease has a much earlier age of onset, for example, fifties or early sixties, in individuals who have been exposed to unusually high levels of aluminium in their everyday lives.”

His most recent study, published by the Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology in December 2016, titled: Aluminium in brain tissue in familial Alzheimer’s disease, is one of the many studies that he and his team have conducted on the subject of aluminum over the years. However, this study in particular is believed to be of significant value, because it is the first time that scientists have measured the level of aluminum in the brain tissue of individuals diagnosed with familial Alzheimer’s disease.

(Alzheimer’s disease or AD is considered to be familial if two or more people in a family suffer from the disease.)

According to their paper, the concentrations of aluminum found in brain tissue donated by individuals who died with a diagnosis of familial AD, was the highest level ever measured in human brain tissue.

Professor Exley wrote:

“We now show that some of the highest levels of aluminium ever measured in human brain tissue are found in individuals who have died with a diagnosis of familial Alzheimer’s disease.

The levels of aluminium in brain tissue from individuals with familial Alzheimer’s disease are similar to those recorded in individuals who died of an aluminium-induced encephalopathy while undergoing renal dialysis.”

He explained that:

“Familial Alzheimer’s disease is an early-onset form of the disease with first symptoms occurring as early as 30 or 40 years of age. It is extremely rare, perhaps 2-3% of all cases of Alzheimer’s disease. Its bases are genetic mutations associated with a protein called amyloid-beta, a protein which has been heavily linked with the cause of all forms of Alzheimer’s disease.

Individuals with familial Alzheimer’s disease produce more amyloid beta and the onset of the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease are much earlier in life.”
What do you do for magnesium and calcium? Do you take supplements? Also it's not known if dietary aluminium causes Alzheimers, just that Alzheimers is associated with Aluminium in the brain. Could well just be an ion-pump as Alzheimers is genetic.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm sure it's fine, but it could use a wipe down, Duncan.
Why? It looks clean enough.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It's the purity /cleanliness of the water that comes out that is important.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:30 pm It's the purity /cleanliness of the water that comes out that is important.
I know, I just hope it's cleaner on the inside than the outside because it doesn't inspire confidence to the casual observer is all I'm saying.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The Pasteur Institute tests Phnom Penh water monthly and AFAIK has given it a clean bill of health for years - however I don't know if they test it at the source or the destination, and as others have suggested, the water supply line to houses is very old and has many leaks, so it can't be guaranteed. You can get your house water tested at Pasteur for reasonable dollars if you wish, I know a local well-digging NGO that tests the water of each of its wells over years to ensure it stays pure and sweet. As stated, if you're brushing your teeth at the tap and washing your dishes and vegetables with tap water, you will very soon know if you have a problem with your home supply. We've never had a bout if illness that we've attributed to tap water, although we cook and drink water from the 20L "big blues", as do the khmer team members.

Edit: typo
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:30 pm It's the purity /cleanliness of the water that comes out that is important.
I know, I just hope it's cleaner on the inside than the outside because it doesn't inspire confidence to the casual observer is all I'm saying.

Yes I always clean the inside after using them . But just encase you dont know about how a water distiller works and what they do,,, you can put in four liters of dirty pond water, or four liters of salt water, beer, or any other water based liquid, and you still end up with pure H2O and the solids left behind. You have to use the charcoal filter to remove the smell.

And a friend that I know in Bundaburg Qld makes a six liter mash of sugar cane, water and yeast,, lets it ferment for a few days , pours the liquid into the distiller and captures the first 500 ml that comes out,,, 100 % alcohol . then mixes it with coffee extract which he brews himself, adds condensed milk , and what does he end up with.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:55 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Yes I always clean the inside after using them . But just encase you dont know about how a water distiller works and what they do,,, you can put in four liters of dirty pond water, or four liters of salt water, beer, or any other water based liquid, and you still end up with pure H2O and the solids left behind. You have to use the charcoal filter to remove the smell.

And a friend that I know in Bundaburg Qld makes a six liter mash of sugar cane, water and yeast,, lets it ferment for a few days , pours the liquid into the distiller and captures the first 500 ml that comes out,,, 100 % alcohol . then mixes it with coffee extract which he brews himself, adds condensed milk , and what does he end up with.
haha I know how distillations works.

I had a guest stay recently who bought bottled water for his entire stay rather than risk the filtered water, whereas a previous guest said it was such a bonus to have filtered water on tap and not to have to worry about having to cart bottled water up all the stairs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic