Australian Expat JAMES NEAL PASCOE Arrested in Phnom Penh for Selling Oranges & Orange Juice

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Australian Expat JAMES NEAL PASCOE Arrested in Phnom Penh for Selling Oranges & Orange Juice

Post by Barang chgout »

Arget wrote:work for immigration purpose is "any activity where a person could reasonably expect remuneration"
e.g.
sitting at a table with products for sale.
So creating anything is out?
No writing books.
No gardens bigger than you can consume and definitely no building.
No cooking for others.
No mechanical forays.
Etc........
Grey area.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Australian Expat JAMES NEAL PASCOE Arrested in Phnom Penh for Selling Oranges & Orange Juice

Post by Arget »

Barang chgout wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 am
Arget wrote:work for immigration purpose is "any activity where a person could reasonably expect remuneration"
e.g.
sitting at a table with products for sale.
So creating anything is out?
No writing books.
No gardens bigger than you can consume and definitely no building.
No cooking for others.
No mechanical forays.
Etc........
Grey area.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Look at it this way. If someone else was to do the activity would they expect payment?

This is only for adjudging if a person on a visa without permission to work is in breach of the visa condition. =@
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:53 pm How can work be work?
If I'm "retired" and have time on my hands, perhaps i chose to build a house or grow a hectare if vegetables because I like to and want to fill my time with something constructive....
Define work more precisely for me please. ( i make NO money).
I think the phrase is gainful emlpoyment.

Anybody can grow vegetables, but a barang is not allowed to grow them and sell them. If you're not making money from it, it's not gainful employment.

I find it strange that people can identify a working Mexican or Costa Rican, but they don't understand the term 'work'.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Who takes the money for the fucking oranges? Him? Then it's working because it's a fucking shop and he's taking money. As a white guy you sit on the customers side of the fucking table and you aren't working. Behind the table and you are working.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

taabarang wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:39 pm "work or not, or could reasonably be considered work by a thinking person. If you have to ask, it is probably because you have realized someone might think it is work"

No, not at all. It is because those of us who have lived here a long time do not like to second guess either The Ministry of Interior or Foreign Affairs. It is their job to define and ours to comply. You're accusing the wrong party of loopholes.
Aren't you clutching at straws here?

If selling juice on the street in the capital order to make a profit isn't work, then what is it? Supporting your family?

A small comparison:

If my (fictional) Cambodian wife, while on a visa without permission to work, was caught selling stuff in my (fictional) shop in Schengenland because I had other obligations that day, and she was caught, she would be on the first flight back home (at my expense), my company would be fined 5-10k EUR for employing people without the correct documents and she would get a life time ban for another visa.

This guy was just stupid and short sighted.
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

or they could change the rules for married foreign persons
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

There used to be a foreign couple selling coffee outside a school on St 482, they didn't last long

Almost every single honky can get a job teaching English just by being white. Even the backpacker losers at Genius School for Wankers can earn a minimum of $800/month, which is way more than any joice stall will make, and it's also way more than most Khmer vendors make. Stick to that.

I guess some are trying to avoid work permits by doing this, because schools are checked more stringently.

It's a very quick way to make Khmers pissed off with expats, and you don't want that.
JohnLeonard
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by JohnLeonard »

While its illegal to do so..
i salute this man who is at least doing something instead of being addicted to booze and meth.
Kudos sir.
Cat playing her favorite game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD7_GRm4xR8
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Police put the squeeze on him for selling juice. He should have got his wife to employ him and obtain a work permit so he could work for her when she is unable to. He's hardly Warren Buffett. Anyway a bit late for that now, but what about the guys that pick up cans on the street? Perhaps they could say they are collectors and that's a hobby of theirs. Think that would fly?
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

No need to make a drama, nothing happened to him. Then people still think that it's complicated to live in Cambodia now...
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic