CEO rules, playing nice and karma

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
giblet
Expatriate

CEO rules, playing nice and karma

Post by giblet »

I've seen some suggestions for rules around moderation and banning, which I think is a good idea. I think it's important that rules and banning are enforced fairly and evenly, and when no stated rules exist, it can give the impression that it's not being enforced fairly.

I didn't read the Islam thread, but I can imagine based on some of the other threads that things got pretty heated. Can we all please try to be a bit nicer to each other? One of the main reasons women (and many men) don't use forums is they find the personal attacks very intimidating. Even if that attack isn't leveled at me, just reading it makes me not want to post as much. Disagreeing is fine and not sharing the same point of view is fine, but one of the things I like about CEO as opposed to 440 is that I don't need to worry about someone telling me how shit I am every time I post. The problem is that in order for this to work, we need to be self-policing.

The mods can't force us to be respectful of one another, but we can show our appreciation of respectful posters by giving them karma and show our disapproval of disrespectful posters by taking karma away. I know that it can be a bit intimidating to give someone karma demerits, but I think we shouldn't be afraid to use this feature as it's our only way of letting people know that they are crossing a line (and hopefully is a way to avoid needing to ban people). If someone takes karma away from you, instead of getting angry, try and see where they are coming from. And if someone helps you out or argues with you in a respectful way, give them karma. It's a way of rewarding the posters that contribute something positive to the site.

Dara
Expatriate

Re: CEO rules, playing nice and karma

Post by Dara »

I helped you out with the noisy geese and the neighbor.

You sent no Karma.

You do not practice what you preach. Maybe you should have
read the religion thread. It was mostly about the chasm between the two.

You are great to have on the forum and I welcomed you by PM.

So don't run off like a pouting woman. I'll get banned for running off
"quality" posters.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

I give a lot of karma, but I have been doing it sporadically and not making a particular effort to do it regularly. My suggestion is that all of us, myself included, start doing this now to reward people that help us out and to give negative karma to people that are being disrespectful. I'll make more of an effort with it myself in the future, and I'm sorry I didn't give you karma for your goose advice. It was very much appreciated, if that counts for anything. :)
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

giblet wrote:The problem is that in order for this to work, we need to be self-policing.

The mods can't force us to be respectful of one another, but we can show our appreciation of respectful posters by giving them karma and show our disapproval of disrespectful posters by taking karma away.
I agree 100 %. Self censorship is needed, can be expected and should become a norm.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

No need to be shy giblet. If your poultry are getting wet from the rain and you're on a karma-drive to buy them umbrellas, just say so.

They managed to pull it off in Wigan. ;)
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Image :whip:
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

giblet wrote:If someone takes karma away from you, instead of getting angry, try and see where they are coming from.
Could you explain where this particular poster was coming from?

Poster posts asking where he can purchase 'X'.
I post a link which provided about 8 places, from an online guide, where he could buy 'X'.
Poster decreases my karma by 5 points because '3 of the places didn't have what he wanted'. :facepalm:

Tru dat.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Personally, I'd spend some time trying to explain to them why that's an inappropriate use of karma, and then probably hold a grudge against them forever and ignore everything they say for the next four or five years.
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

I was sent a pm that I got more karma, but didn't actually receive it. A glitch/bug in the software? :cry:
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

HotRecruiter removed all my karma
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic