The ANTS are eating me alive.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

The ANTS are eating me alive.

Post by SlackWaster »

Hello all

Some of you might remember my arrival in Cambodia was greeted by a property with a rat and cockroach infestation. Add to that a HUGE spider under my pillow, it wasn't the best of welcomes. I am not great with insects, but that was too much for most people, I reckon.
Anyway, since moving to a third story property, the only one on the third story too, things have been perfect, three months nearly now and just the ONE cockroach.

However, twice now I have woken up with a part of my body being eaten alive by ants. I do not eat in bed, or smoke, or anything but the usual. I do sweat a lot though and noticed both times the ants were in a very sweaty part. Luckily not 'that' part, but this morning it was my elbow, and as I slept I was scratching, and rubbing, and pissing them off until I woke up and saw my elbow almost black with ants. They had been biting and eating and god knows what. Not nice.

Is there anything I can do about this? I mean, it's not like I am leaving food about, I am very careful with such things. But if sweating in bed is the issue, then I have a big issue. Any 'ant advice' welcome. :BangHead:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The ANTS are eating me alive.

Post by John Bingham »

Some places are a lot worse than others. The nearer the ground floor you are the more likely it is you'll have rats or cockroaches. Wooden places are terrible for rats. I'm lucky in that I have very few mosquitoes, and it's very rare that a rogue or flying cockroach will turn up. I've only had two mice/rats in 5 years and I killed them. Sometimes it's neighboring properties that are infested though and any you kill will just be replaced in no time.

There's not much you can do about them other than fill cracks in tiles, spray areas around entrances with bug spray, spray bugspray on the bottom of the legs of your furniture. Also keep the place as clean as possible, get food/ drinks removed asap to the bin/ sink, don't leave dirty dishes/ open bins around, clean any splashes of drinks up pronto, keep mosquito screens closed, change the bed clothes regularly if that's where they are gathering.

Despite their size ants are a scourge and I've lost count of the amount of food I've had to throw away because of them. There are tiny ones (maybe some people call them termites) that are almost invisible. Leave a grain of sugar on the ground though and in no time there is a whole train of them marching across your floor. Those they don't bite as far as I know. There is another common black ant that swarms like crazy around drains, potted plants, garbage etc which I don't think bite either.
Then there are very small red ants around. Small in that that they are hard to see but a bit bigger and tougher than the last ones. These are a fucking menace. They have this trick where they'll climb onto your bath towel. So next morning or whatever, you have a refreshing shower and dry off and get dressed and get on out. Then halfway down the street you notice this weird feeling on your scrotum. And then something similar on your back. They cling on like crazy and it stings, and when you pull them away they often leave their jaws/ head behind. The real bad boys are the big red ants though. If you ever decide to sit down in a pleasant spot in the countryside, or lean against a tree, beware. There are millions of these everywhere, and they bite and sting like a fucker.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by John Bingham on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Try putting small dabs of condensed milk in a few places on the floor and check them in a hours time and you will see a line of ants leading from them to their home.

Spray the shit out of where they are coming from, and repeat in a different area the next day. You will never get rid of ants , all you can do is try to keep them under control and the numbers down.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

diabetes?
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

finbar wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:46 pmdiabetes?
I also was going to ask if you're diabetic. TMI, but the ants swarm whatever toilet I'm using, regardless of how clean I leave it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by SlackWaster »

Hello
Thanks for your help. No diabetes, but I did look into it and sweat is a common attraction for ants. Anyway, watched some videos, got plenty of advice. Even watched some amazing videos from people who keep ants like.....pets?

Anyway, sprayed all round the door and window frames with RAID, did the base of my bed and the kitchen. Today, no ants. Not one. I also learned it's worth getting the Gel. They eat it like crazy and then take it back to the nest, at which point it poisons the eggs and queen. Brutal and total annihilation. I'm going to get some and will let you know how it goes.

The Spray I used was standard multi-insect RAID.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Weird that you needed a forum to understand that you need to spray :-)
But why are you sweating ? No aircon ?!
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Spraying isn't an ideal solution, the spray is very toxic so it's best to use it as little as possible.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 pm Spraying isn't an ideal solution, the spray is very toxic so it's best to use it as little as possible.

I would be pissed off if I bought a spray to kill ants and it was not toxic.
Spoiler:
Where's that '' kill more ant's '' smilie .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic