Senate Approves Law on Citizenship

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Senate Approves Law on Citizenship

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:40 pm ya count me in, I'll put up a million $$ and give up my US citizenship to be Khmer... :facepalm:
Yeah, and then be at the mercy of whatever whims the powers that be come up with.... :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Strange, rereading some of the quotes from officials, one of them seems to be confused. He is mentioning the cost for minimum requirements for Oknha status, not citizenship. The 300k minimum investment in a government approved project is the old cost for Oknha, as is the new 1 million requirement.

Nobody would throw away citizenship from their home country for Cambodian...especially Westerners and Chinese. Something odd about that part.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Felgerkarb wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:08 pm Nobody would throw away citizenship from their home country for Cambodian...especially Westerners and Chinese. Something odd about that part.
The statement mentioned multiple-citizenship, which is open to interpretation. I know 2 is a multiple but maybe they mean more than that. A ban on dual citizenship would see a lot of annoying elements revoking their Cambodian citizenship, but would be a pain in the ass for other families who benefit from that status.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 pm
Felgerkarb wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:08 pm Nobody would throw away citizenship from their home country for Cambodian...especially Westerners and Chinese. Something odd about that part.
The statement mentioned multiple-citizenship, which is open to interpretation. I know 2 is a multiple but maybe they mean more than that. A ban on dual citizenship would see a lot of annoying elements revoking their Cambodian citizenship, but would be a pain in the ass for other families who benefit from that status.
Raises questions about all the half kids running around with dual citizenship, like mine.
===============
--Brother Theodore
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Felgerkarb wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:03 pm Will be working on mine shortly. We shall see how it goes.
How did it go?
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Jack.R. wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:23 am
Felgerkarb wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:03 pm Will be working on mine shortly. We shall see how it goes.
How did it go?
No money no honey.
===============
--Brother Theodore
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:40 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:40 pm
Bun Neang stressed that the investment requirement was also raised from at least 1.25 billion riel (about $312,000) in a government-approved project, to nearly $1 million.

Well I guess citizenship is not on the cards for myself then, even the 1,25 billion Riel price is way more than I have handy.
Preap Kol, executive director of Transparency International Cambodia, wrote on his Facebook page on Friday that the draft law should determine the amount of money that is proportional to the current market price,
and that foreigners who apply for Cambodian citizenship should not be able to hold multiple passports

I wonder what they mean by "multiple passports"? If they mean more than two that's understandable, but if they are trying to say they aren't encouraging dual citizenship that's worrying. I doubt there are too many people with $1 million who want to revoke their other citizenship, other than outlaws and crims. :? :?
so seems like he is saying u cant hold dual citizenship

ya count me in, I'll put up a million $$ and give up my US citizenship to be Khmer... :facepalm:

JUST for comparison. ( I am NOT saying Thailand is better)

to hold Thai citizenship
In all cases you will also have to fulfill the following conditions to apply for Thai citizenship:

You must have lived in Thailand continuously, for at least five years before applying.
Be a permanent resident.
Be 18 years old or older and have reached legal majority in your country of origin.
Be well behaved and have a good background (criminal record; political background; involvement with illegal drugs and, in the case of Vietnamese applicants, personal behaviour will be checked).
Know the Thai language, including speaking, listening and understanding.
Be able to sing the National Anthem Sanserm Phra Baramee and pass an interview in Thai conducted by government officers.

Citizen of western countries (i.e. US, UK, Canada, Australia, France) can have dual citizenship in most cases (e.g. Thai citizenship and their original nationality).

You must have a minimum income of 80,000 THB each month, although if you are married to a Thai citizen or have had a child born in Thailand then this is reduced to 30,000 each month.
In addition to the financial information already presented you will need to present information on your bank accounts, which should contain a minimum of 80,000 THB.
Among the others requirements, you will be expected to swear an oath and appear at your local police station dressed well and holding a candle, flowers and incense. You will have to swear allegiance to the King and to the country of Thailand

Easier to become a resident thou

https://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Thai-Resident
I have to disagree with it's easier to gain Thai citizenship, yes you are correct in money terms, if you can show you do have the monthly income of 80,000 THB minimum. But the Kingdom of Wonder is open to so much interpretation, and so on, so if you happened to have a million $$$ or let's say a large number of money donations it could be someone's lucky day. Ether way if having the sum accepted it's easier here to buy yourself a citizenship.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

For that amount of investment, any foreigner can buy American Citizenship. Or at least an inventor visa and green card. With citizenship application in 5 years.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:01 am For that amount of investment, any foreigner can buy American Citizenship. Or at least an inventor visa and green card. With citizenship application in 5 years.
Ewwww no thanks. Given a choice, I would unhesitatingly choose Cambodian or Russian citizenship to a US one, even if the latter came with a hypothetical bonus of a million USD.

Absolutely repelled by the idea of that blue passport option via any amount of money.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

ergosemper wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:15 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:01 am For that amount of investment, any foreigner can buy American Citizenship. Or at least an inventor visa and green card. With citizenship application in 5 years.
Ewwww no thanks. Given a choice, I would unhesitatingly choose Cambodian or Russian citizenship to a US one, even if the latter came with a hypothetical bonus of a million USD.

Absolutely repelled by the idea of that blue passport option via any amount of money.
If only they didn't tax you EXERYWHERE.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic