US hits Cambodia Prime Minister HE's bodyguard unit head with sanctions

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

US hits Cambodia Prime Minister HE's bodyguard unit head with sanctions

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The Unites States has imposed sanctions on the head of Cambodian Prime Minister HE's bodyguard unit for serious human rights abuses.
"As a result of these actions, any property, or interest in property, of those designated today within US jurisdiction is blocked," the US Treasury said.
The sanctions announcement cited a 2015 attack by three Prime Minister's Bodyguard Unit (PMBU) members on two opposition politicians.

The MPs were dragged out of their cars and beaten in front of the Parliament, as police and the public watched on.

"In the 2015 incident, only three members of the PMBU were sent to jail after they confessed to participating in an attack on opposition lawmakers, and were promoted upon their release," the US Treasury said.
It also noted a 1997 attack, in which four hand grenades were thrown into a crowd surrounding then-opposition leader Sam Rainsy, killing at least 16 people.

American citizen Ron Abney was wounded by shrapnel in the attack.
An FBI investigation found the attackers escaped towards HE's compound, running through a perimeter of bodyguard unit soldiers who then stopped people from chasing the attackers.
"I hope also the HE regime reconsiders its actions including the release of opposition leader Kem Sokha," she said, referring to her father.
Beijing's financial and political support has allowed HE to largely ignore diplomatic pressure from other nations to reform.

As a result, the elections next month are a foregone conclusion — HE's Cambodian People's Party will win easily.
Full http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-13/u ... ns/9865342
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: US hits Cambodia Prime Minister HE's bodyguard unit head with sanctions

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

This article might be a bit clearer.
U.S. sanctions Cambodia PM's top bodyguard over rights abuses
Reuters
1 hour ago, 13 June 2018

The United States has imposed sanctions on the commander of Cambodian Prime Minister HE's bodyguard unit for alleged human rights abuses, the first member of the leader's inner circle to be blacklisted by Washington.

General Hing Bun Hieng, head of the Prime Minister Bodyguard Unit (PMBU), was sanctioned for "being the leader of an entity involved in serious human rights abuse," the U.S. Treasury Department said on Tuesday.

The sanctioning of a HE loyalist comes amid increasingly strained relations between Washington and Phnom Penh. In March, HE accused the United States of lying when Washington blamed Cambodia's military and other entities for recent political instability and suspended their aid.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us ... ar-AAyzOih
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Hing Bun Heang sanctioned by the US
13 June 2018
The United States has sanctioned General Hing Bun Heang, commander of Prime Minister HE’s bodyguard unit for his alleged involvement in human rights abuses, including a US citizen...
Gen Bun Heang flatly denied he committed human rights abuse and deposited money in the US.

“I think the United States has quickly blocked me, but I don’t have money in the bank [in the U.S]. I have only a stupa. I have built 12 temples, schools and irrigation system for our people,” Gen Bun Heang said.

“I have no money deposited in the US’s bank at all,” Gen Bun Heang said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50500338/h ... by-the-us/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If it was me, I would show my bank statement to prove I have no money in my account.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:17 am Hing Bun Heang sanctioned by the US

Gen Bun Heang fatly denied he committed human rights abuse and deposited money in the US.
FTFY
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The General has a message for US nationals in Cambodia.

General vows to suppress rebels after sanctions
15 June 2018
General Hing Bun Hieng, commander of Prime Minister HE’s Bodyguard Unit, yesterday vowed to suppress any US nationals tied to a colour revolution attempt in the wake of the US slapping him with financial sanctions.

Gen Bun Hieng issued a personal statement yesterday in response to the sanctions, which were announced on Tuesday over his alleged involvement in multiple attacks on unarmed Cambodians for many years, including in 2013 at Wat Phnom and in 2015 in front of the National Assembly, where CNRP lawmakers were beaten.

Gen Bun Hieng flatly denied that he committed the human rights violations, and noted that he did not have any assets in the US.

“I am ready to fight back at any American who do not respect the sovereignty of an independent country and have ambition to invade my country and incite traitors inside Cambodia,” Gen Bun Hieng said.

“I am ready to prevent traitors and opposition groups who have intended to create a colour revolution in Cambodia, which foreigners are behind,” Gen Bun Hieng said.

The US has been accused of colluding with former CNRP leader Kem Sokha to topple the government through a colour revolution.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50501345/g ... sanctions/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

FFS. /facepalm
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

this is getting dangerous for US citizens in KoW, now they cld be unfairly profiled for various minor infractions, US government hv made it dangerous for its citizen to live or stay here :facepalm:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

KoW is already kicking out some US people
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic