Losing our house

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Losing our house

Post by Cam Nivag »

Jacobincambodia wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:50 am
Actually, we only have an agreement by SMS for the new contract so I know that’s worth nothing. And as far as contracts are concerned, they don’t mean anything either down here. I’ve heard stories of landlords booting tenants early way too often.
Yes, I have heard a lot of stories over the last 12 months of landlords booting out Western tenants mid-lease as well. But before that, I heard a lot of stories of Western tenants in Cambodia signing long term leases committing to pay rent over a period of many months (or years) and then deciding to quit the tenancy early. And do these Westerner pay the landlord the rent for the rest of the term? Do they stay in the property even though they want to leave because they are committed to pay rent? No, they just fuck right off and abandon the lease and at most say "Oh, you can keep my deposit."

Due to Cambodia's ineffective legal system, long terms leases don't mean anything, but that works both ways. Westerners love it when this "lawlessness" of Cambodia works in their favor, but they tend to squeal like pigs when it works against them.
Last edited by Cam Nivag on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Cam Nivag wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:50 am
Actually, we only have an agreement by SMS for the new contract so I know that’s worth nothing. And as far as contracts are concerned, they don’t mean anything either down here. I’ve heard stories of landlords booting tenants early way too often.
Yes, I have heard a lot of stories over the last 12 months of landlords booting out Western tenants mid-lease as well. But before that, I heard a lot of stories of Western tenants in Cambodia signing long term leases committing to pay rent over a period of many months (or years) and then deciding to quite the tenancy early. And do these Westerner pay the landlord the rent for the rest of the term? Do they stay in the property even though they want to leave because they are committed to pay rent? No, they just fuck right off and abandon the lease and at most say "Oh, you can keep my deposit."

Due to Cambodia's ineffective legal system, long terms leases don't mean anything, but that works both ways. Westerners love it when this "lawlessness" of Cambodia works in their favor, but they tend to squeal like pigs when it works against them.
Ok. That’s not what I’m doing. I am the one concerned here that I won’t get my security deposit back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

As I understand it......
Under Cambodian Law, your landlord is required to pay 10% withholding tax on rental income. Avoiding that tax is one reason that not all contracts are stamped at the relevant Sangkat office.
They might just get the police to sign/stamp it, or not even that.
When they go to sell the property, they could be up for back taxes if the contract was registered at the Sangkat office and no withholding tax was paid on rental income.
Anyway, that could be a negotiating tactic for any tenant that's being wrongly kicked out, ie, ask for compensation or you will report your landlord to the local ministry of finance for not paying his withholding tax.
Just a suggestion, I dont know of anyone's that's tried it.

Conversely, landlords avoiding withholding tax lets them offer tenants cheaper rent, so no need to make waves if they honor the contract.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Spent the last two days in Kampot scouting the town and it was eye candy compared to Sihanoukville. The roads were ever so smooth. There was hardly any trash laying around and the housing options were refreshing!

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jacobincambodia wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:30 am Spent the last two days in Kampot scouting the town and it was eye candy compared to Sihanoukville. The roads were ever so smooth. There was hardly any trash laying around and the housing options were refreshing!

Good luck with house hunting there mate - it's chalk and cheese with Sihanoukville, isn't it? It would probably be our next town of choice if we moved away from PP. Very cool atmosphere, lots happening, Kep is just down the road...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

u would not last five minutes mins matey
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic