Trump to pardon Ali?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Trump to pardon Ali?

Post by that genius »

https://www.rt.com/sport/429176-trump-p ... ammad-ali/
Donald Trump considering pardon for boxing great Muhammad Ali
Published time: 8 Jun, 2018 15:23

US President Donald Trump says that he is contemplating a posthumous presidential pardon for former heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali who evaded a military draft during the Vietnam war.
Ali, who passed away in 2016, is among “thousands of names” Donald Trump says he is considering for clemency. Speaking on his way to the G7 summit in Canada, Trump said that he is “currently preparing recommendations” in relation to Ali, the latest in a sweeping round of pardons issued by the president.

Breaking News: @POTUS floats possibility of pardoning Muhammad Ali https://t.co/d2MkFVibkPpic.twitter.com/anNMox6z9Y
— Fox News (@FoxNews) June 8, 2018

Ali was convicted in 1967 of failing to report for military duty and was subsequently sentenced to five years in prison and stripped of his boxing titles.
“I’m thinking about someone you all know very well,” Trump said Friday at the White House. “He went through a lot and he wasn’t very popular then - no, I’m not thinking about O.J. - look, he was not very popular then. Certainly his memory is very popular now. I’m thinking about Muhammad Ali. I’m thinking about that very seriously, and some others.”

Trump’s announcement comes despite the US Supreme Court overturning Ali’s conviction in 1971. Following that, President Jimmy Carter issued a blanket pardon for all Vietnam draft evaders in 1977.

READ MORE: Trump congratulates 'superstar' Ovechkin for making 'D.C. poppin' with Caps success
Trump has pardoned a total of six people since he took office including Jack Johnson, the first black boxing heavyweight champion, who was convicted in 1913 of transporting a white woman across state lines for “immoral purposes”.

Earlier this week Trump pardoned Alice Johnson, a woman serving a life sentence for a non-violent drug offense. The pardon came after lobbying from reality TV star Kim Kardashian.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Trump to pardon Ali?

Post by frank lee bent »

Supposedly about to make an announcement on states's rights for weed this weekend as well
the prisons would be emptied
JohnLeonard
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by JohnLeonard »

I must say this guy is all about actions, i can imagine him going through as most successful president in recent decades.
Love him or hate him, he commands attention and bullies his way through nonsense.
Cat playing her favorite game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD7_GRm4xR8
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:31 am Supposedly about to make an announcement on states's rights for weed this weekend as well
the prisons would be emptied
All those in prison for weed should be released immediately and hired as consultants to the industry. :thumb:
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

JohnLeonard wrote:I must say this guy is all about actions, i can imagine him going through as most successful president in recent decades.
Love him or hate him, he commands attention and bullies his way through nonsense.
I have to agree with this.

As much as I don’t like his attitude you can’t complain about the results he is producing.

If he could just lay off the crazy twitter rants he might even start to get some credit for it. As you said, love him or hate him, overall he is producing.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Producing what exactly? Pardoning dead people who were already pardoned doesn't come across as very productive, it's fluff.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Once again trump is playing to the crowd, Ali had his conviction overturned years ago.

charlie
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by zmth »

JohnLeonard wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:23 am I must say this guy is all about actions, i can imagine him going through as most successful president in recent decades.
'successful president '

Only if something great happens like releasing all prisoners for weed and a lot more prisoners for other things,etc. Otherwise his very bad actions of imposing trade tariff's will outweigh the few rather minor good things he has suggested or done? so far this year.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:26 pm Once again trump is playing to the crowd, Ali had his conviction overturned years ago.

charlie
Source?
JohnLeonard
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by JohnLeonard »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:26 pm Once again trump is playing to the crowd, Ali had his conviction overturned years ago.

charlie
So charlie if i disagree with you you will go on and rate my comment as negative?

Can you justify why did you rate my comment as negative?
Cat playing her favorite game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD7_GRm4xR8
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic