The OrangeDragon is changing lairs for a while...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: The OrangeDragon is changing lairs for a while...

Post by OrangeDragon »

28th or 29th.

Did the party here so early because my kiwi buddy is off to Kampot today and I wanted him to be able to attend.

Plane ticket is now bought... Sept 3rd I'm wheels up for a while.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

Have a safe trip :thumb:

And here's some help for you bud, seeing as you Las Vegans can't order a taxi without help from a third party :D
http://www.poundtaxi.com/taxi-tips/taxi ... os-angeles
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

i have someone picking me up. LA cabbies are about as bad as vegas ones... frequently taking the longest possible route if the poor schmuck in the back doesn't know any better to tell them the short way to go.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

OrangeDragon wrote:i have someone picking me up. LA cabbies are about as bad as vegas ones... frequently taking the longest possible route if the poor schmuck in the back doesn't know any better to tell them the short way to go.
Do the taxis not have sat nav?
That "uber" app is threatening the taxi trade in Europe. Sends the passenger the route the uber "taxi" is to go, and the price, then verifies it after the journey. I hope it catches on, as we only get poor English speakers who haven't a clue where they are going, and eat and phone while driving. If you complain, they accuse you of racism.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I thought all of your taxis had a "Street knowledge test" and were all identically skilled!?

And as for navigation... never use it in America for something like that unless you know the roads. It will have you getting on the 10 at 8am and sitting in a parking lot of a freeway for 4 hours while the meter keeps on running. That's one of the things they do, and it fucks people who don't know how to tell them to avoid it.

And if you guys had "wavers" they could be sure to find you a good cabbie if you tipped them... ;-)
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

OrangeDragon wrote:I thought all of your taxis had a "Street knowledge test" and were all identically skilled!?
I think every city has. Mine does, and London does for sure. But that's if they want to pick up off the street or outside hotels etc. We also have " mini cabs/ private hire cabs" that can only pick up passengers that phone through their office. They are cheaper than the black cabs and don't get tested. Tourists don't use them. The black cabs are 95% local Brits. The minicabs, are anyone, from anywhere in the world, that have a fake driving licence! So you get an Osama Bin Laden lookalike, who throws drunk girls out his cab for talking loudly/ swearing/ telling him what to do etc. But hey, as long as it's politically correct!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

UKJ wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:I thought all of your taxis had a "Street knowledge test" and were all identically skilled!?
I think every city has. Mine does, and London does for sure. But that's if they want to pick up off the street or outside hotels etc. We also have " mini cabs/ private hire cabs" that can only pick up passengers that phone through their office. They are cheaper than the black cabs and don't get tested. Tourists don't use them. The black cabs are 95% local Brits. The minicabs, are anyone, from anywhere in the world, that have a fake driving licence! So you get an Osama Bin Laden lookalike, who throws drunk girls out his cab for talking loudly/ swearing/ telling him what to do etc. But hey, as long as it's politically correct!
The minicab drivers are pretty much how all of the vegas cabs are. There's no test... usually just a driving test (as in, can you) and you're done.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Dragon One, the very best of luck from all at the CEO Consulate in Wigan. See you, on your return to Cambodia in about a year

:beer3:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Bump... tomorrow night!

Also... a new development...

a) How's your Karma? CEO themed T-shirts will be available to all those who attend! Playboy and LaudJohn managed to get theirs last night. The one catch, nothing larger than an XL. The printing shop I used didn't have anything larger and time was a factor. Those wishing for larger ones will have to wait a little longer while the missus gets them printed up in my absence.

b) the esteemed ownership powers that be at the other site have been good enough to put on a second keg it would seem. I suggested they do this for the garage phase of the night, but it's not been confirmed. best bet is to just come and drink at both and get the freebies where they suddenly appear. hat tip to scoby, 3rd man, and playboy for their contribution...
Singularian
Expatriate

Post by Singularian »

Are you signing T shirts OD?

I'd like my to have a short verse of prose attached. Something along the lines of -

'You're a cunt, I'm a cunt, but we're CEO cunts so that's alright'

In your own words, of course!

TIA.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic