The trouble with Facebook...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The trouble with Facebook...

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Is that you can't even take a nap without people commenting :thumb: or thumbdown
Police officers from the Srey Santhor District Police Station in Kampong Cham were chastised after this photo was posted on social media.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: The trouble with Facebook...

Post by hanno »

Hahaha, too good!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Three naps result in five suspended Kompong Cham cops
Mech Dara | Publication date 08 June 2018 | 09:34 ICT

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Kampong Cham’s finest. facebook
Two Kampong Cham police officers have been suspended from their work after taking photos of three other policemen sleeping during a celebration commemorating the 11th annual Cambodian Veterans Day at Koh Pich City Hall on Monday, that was chaired by Prime Minister HE.

The photos later found their way onto social media and went viral, drawing criticism from the public.

On Monday, Chamkar Loeu district’s police chief, Kheng Sreng, said it was coincidence that he saw his old friends sleeping and took the pictures. However, the pictures were taken before the prime minister had arrived at the event.

“When I looked at them sleeping, I took pictures and sent them to my friend . . . and he shared it with the provincial anti-narcotics bureau in a WhatsApp group.

“I love my friends very much and took their picture in order to make fun of them . . . I do not know who shared the picture on the Facebook,” Sreng said.

He also said the photos going viral on social media was unintentional and that he accepted the suspension.

“I do not know yet if I still have my job or the kind of punishment I will receive in the end. If I am transferred to administrative work, I won’t mind, but if I am fired, I will regret it for the rest of my life because I have worked about 31 years trying to help people,” Sreng said.

Sreng clarified that five police officers are serving punishment – himself for taking the photograph, the three who were caught sleeping and the one who shared it on social media.

Kampong Cham Provincial Police Chief Em Kosal’s instruction letter, dated June 5, said Major Chiv Seng Ros, the Kampong Cham deputy chief of the anti-narcotics bureau, will assume the position of acting Kampong Cham provincial chief of the drugs bureau, replacing Colonel Em Seang Dy, who is serving a suspension for reportedly sharing the photos on social media.

In a separate instruction letter signed by Kosal, Major Yu Pirun, Chamkar Loeu district deputy chief, who is in charge of judicial affairs, will assume the role of acting Chamkar Loeu district police chief, replacing Sreng.

Another officer who shared the picture on WhatsApp to the provincial drugs bureau group, and who has not been identified, has allegedly gone unpunished for his role in the incident.
Daum Penh Stalker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Daum Penh Stalker »

When I worked at a very large company in another Asian country, the best compliment that I ever received was a senior member of staff complimenting me on my work ethic, punctuated with " I never see you sleeping at your desk."
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

I may be in the minority but Facebook gives too much power to people who may not be responsible with it. It should be a crime to post anyone's picture on Facebook without their prior written permission. Distant photos in which the persons cannot be identified not included.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Well you don't have to get a 'driving license' to use Facebook or the internet in general and most people are too lazy to educate themselves a little bit. The internet does not forget. Don't get your picture taken then you don't need to worry someone will upload it to FB or other. Also when websites and pages are deleted but were already indexed by the internet archive it will remain available for eternity: https://archive.org/

I never understand parents posting pictures of their children on Facebook. They cannot have given permission for that yet. And there are miscreants scraping FB for unprotected profiles containing such pictures, running it through a filter that keeps everything with more than 70% flesh tone. So your happy childhood pictures could end up in a batch with other children playing in swimming pools etc. traded for the delight of peadofiles worldwide.
TheImplication
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by TheImplication »

Needs more context. They might have woken up at 4am to drive to the meeting and we all know how hard it is to stay awake with boring presentations.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Flexxman wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:54 pm Well you don't have to get a 'driving license' to use Facebook or the internet in general and most people are too lazy to educate themselves a little bit. The internet does not forget. Don't get your picture taken then you don't need to worry someone will upload it to FB or other. Also when websites and pages are deleted but were already indexed by the internet archive it will remain available for eternity: https://archive.org/

I never understand parents posting pictures of their children on Facebook. They cannot have given permission for that yet. And there are miscreants scraping FB for unprotected profiles containing such pictures, running it through a filter that keeps everything with more than 70% flesh tone. So your happy childhood pictures could end up in a batch with other children playing in swimming pools etc. traded for the delight of peadofiles worldwide.
Your comments about parents posting pics of their kids on Facebook brought to mind this article from Washington Post about new heights of drama in Facebook groups. Public shaming is the newest Facebook adventure. Going to stay away.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... nt-answer/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic