Singing to babies

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Singing to babies

Post by Joon »

The Khmer lullaby has lyrics but most Khmers wouldn't actually sing, they would hum one part of the song over and over. That song is almost part of the cultural identity. Khmer women would naturally hum it for their infants.

But now you intrigued me! Do you think you could record just her lulling?
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Joon wrote:Giblet, does it go like this "a-a-a-aaaaaa~a-a-aaa-a-a-aaaa"
Yap, I DO know that one. Fully understand Giblet – if you are forced to listen to that kind of shit for several hours one is very tempted to go ballistic.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Joon wrote:More seriously, is it the same lullaby tune as the video below? (lullaby song starts at the 0:35-mark)
The one I'm thinking of is a similar tune, if not the same, but, I guess most people don't know the words and are just humming the tune or pretending to sing.
Joon wrote:Giblet, does it go like this "a-a-a-aaaaaa~a-a-aaa-a-a-aaaa" :D
I was thinking more of a "a-a-a-aaaaaa~~a-a-a-aa-a-aaaa, a-a-a-aa-a-aaaaa~~a-a-a-aaaaaa"

give or take an 'a'.

:beer2:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Possibly as bad as getting "Ah-WEEEEEH-um-um-a-way" stuck in your head.

Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Forktongue2
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by Forktongue2 »

Actually my wife "sings" to our children and also tells them off when they are yelling and screaming in the same voice, particularly when I want a nap.

I just ask her to stop and let the kid's scream. lesser of the two evils!
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Forktongue2 wrote:Actually my wife "sings" to our children and also tells them off when they are yelling and screaming in the same voice, particularly when I want a nap.

I just ask her to stop and let the kid's scream. lesser of the two evils!
Ha! Today there's a wedding next door so I can't hear the lullabies. Lesser of two evils. ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic