Thai visa crackdown

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by obelisks »

Things are going to get even tighter and now seems like they are going to clamp down on foreigners not carrying their passport on them at all times

August 29 - heavy new penalties await visa overstays: Thai Immigration

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747 ... migration/

what is it like in Cambodia? Do you have to carry your passport with you at all times?
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

We have an active thread on the subject... lol:

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... f=3&t=1373
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

changed;

Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times.

He said that tourists can of course leave their passports locked in their hotel safe and enjoy their holiday in Thailand without worrying about the need to carry their original passport.

Deputy Commander Voravat also said that for expats living here, a Thai driving license or photocopy of your passport can be used as a form of identification.

said i was gone but;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747 ... commander/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

OrangeDragon wrote:We have an active thread on the subject... lol:

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... f=3&t=1373
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

phuketrichard wrote:changed;

Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times.

He said that tourists can of course leave their passports locked in their hotel safe and enjoy their holiday in Thailand without worrying about the need to carry their original passport.

Deputy Commander Voravat also said that for expats living here, a Thai driving license or photocopy of your passport can be used as a form of identification.

said i was gone but;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747 ... commander/

that makes more sense :Yahoo!:
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Good call, would be hard as hell to carry your passport on say a beach trip/etc.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

Soi Dog wrote:Maybe after the junta is done changing their tourist visa regulations for the umteenth time, they will decide it's time to put limits on consecutive work permits or retirement visas or whatever morally righteous visa phuketrichard has been using to stay in thailand for 30 years, leaving him and those just like him in the same exact predicament those awful long stay tourist visa undesirables are now in.
Now that would be funny
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

walkjivefly wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:Maybe after the junta is done changing their tourist visa regulations for the umteenth time, they will decide it's time to put limits on consecutive work permits or retirement visas or whatever morally righteous visa phuketrichard has been using to stay in thailand for 30 years, leaving him and those just like him in the same exact predicament those awful long stay tourist visa undesirables are now in.
Now that would be funny
First they came for the backpackers, and I did not speak out --
Because I wasn't a backpacker.
Then they came for the sexpats, and I did not speak out --
Because wasn't a sexpat.
Then they came for the English teachers, and I did not speak out --
Because wasn't an English teacher.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

OrangeDragon wrote: First they came for the backpackers, and I did not speak out --
Because I wasn't a backpacker.
Then they came for the sexpats, and I did not speak out --
Because wasn't a sexpat.
Then they came for the English teachers, and I did not speak out --
Because wasn't an English teacher.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.
That too
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Well...August 12 has come and gone. Has the world of Thailand-dwelling expat visa runners come to an end? Are wife-beater wearing mutant zombie undead now walking the streets of Pattaya after the tourist visa apocalypse? Could anyone tell if any difference if there were? :o
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic