My girlfriend is paying 2000 riel/kwh for electricity, is this normal?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: My girlfriend is paying 2000 riel/kwh for electricity, is this normal?

Post by angkorjohn »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:22 am
angkorjohn wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:16 am It is illegal to profit off electricity. If you live in a condo with a generator built in they can charge you a bit more to cover the costs of the generator. I did also hear that if you are in the immediate vicinity of EDC (maybe like a 2km circle) so psar chas, kandal , thmey riverside, Wat Phnom etc you get the correct rate EDC charge - the caveat is you also then gotta go pay your own bill which can be a pain in the ass.

Outside of that area 1000 riel is the most you should be being charged (and the landlord should be going to pay the bill). what your girlfriend describes, unless there's a generator attached (which i'm guessing for $100 room it aint) then the landlord can be arrested for essentially stealing from EDC. She should mention that she is going to speak to EDC about this to him as she thinks it it high, see how quick he revises his figures
Or he kicks her out and has a new tenant tomorrow?

Well what do you want me to say? that is a risk or in the meantime he is charging double if not nearly triple what she should pay. it makes $10 bill a $20-$29 bill so if she doesnt want to upset the landlord by all means keep on paying it. Your GF can easy find another room, she just needs to ensure she haggles a bit with the landlord about the price per KW next time.

and this aint a dig at your GF a more general observation but it always shocks me how Khmers will bargain down to the last 100 riel for some meat or veg at the market but when it comes to someone they perceive as more powerful (such as a landlord) they just roll over and accept what they are given.

I found this piece which states that EDC put new boxes and systems in to stop this shit 3 years ago. https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/elec ... aul-77037/

***edit*** one more thing is some landlords will try to say because it is a shared room (not sure if the case) they pay more as 2-4 people in it. Again horseshit just as you dont pay for more people to get in a tuk tuk.
Last edited by angkorjohn on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Unless the landlord generates the electricity, he is not legally allowed to profit off it. 1000 riel is the usual excessive price charged to tenants; 2000 riel is thievery and can't be justified, however, if she agreed to this rate when she signed the contract, there may not be much she can do except move to get a better deal.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

angkorjohn wrote: She should mention that she is going to speak to EDC about this to him as she thinks it it high, see how quick he revises his figures
We should all place bets on how this would pan out.

If all anyone had to do was threaten to call EDC to get the correct rate, would this really be such a huge practice around town?

Pay, try to negotiate or find a new place, unfortunately.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

EDC is actually one of the few ministries that gets shit done. I'm never late to call them. Usually I'm already on the phone before the neighbor generators get loud. They're always very professional and polite when answering questions and handling problems. A 20 year old cable snapped in one of my places. They had a guy out in half an hour telling me I needed a replacement. He went for coffee and I bought the new cable. An hour after that it was spanking new and didn't cost me a cent.

Just call them and see what they say. It's a common problem they deal with. If that means having to find a new $100/mo room, so what?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

fax wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:52 am EDC is actually one of the few ministries that gets shit done. I'm never late to call them. Usually I'm already on the phone before the neighbor generators get loud. They're always very professional and polite when answering questions and handling problems. A 20 year old cable snapped in one of my places. They had a guy out in half an hour telling me I needed a replacement. He went for coffee and I bought the new cable. An hour after that it was spanking new and didn't cost me a cent.

Just call them and see what they say. It's a common problem they deal with. If that means having to find a new $100/mo room, so what?
Guess it depends on who's working at the office. At my office they will even charge you for the piece of paper you need to apply for a new connection, so I guess your great experience with EDC is not that widespread around the Kingdom.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:48 am
angkorjohn wrote: She should mention that she is going to speak to EDC about this to him as she thinks it it high, see how quick he revises his figures
We should all place bets on how this would pan out.

If all anyone had to do was threaten to call EDC to get the correct rate, would this really be such a huge practice around town?

Pay, try to negotiate or find a new place, unfortunately.
Well you know general I didnt mean it as a threat, more as a "is this the right rate" I've lived all over Phnom Penh over the years. Riverside the rate was EdC with the bill as landlord owned my apartment not the block. A few other places they would say at the contract signing stage electric is 1,200 riel pkw + (or whatever figure they invented worst i got quoted was 3,000 pkw!!!!) I have always said no, I will take the bill and pay myself the EDC rate. now many properties have the split meters but it all goes to one bill and the landlord calculates off that. I was told that outside of the catchment you do pay 1000 riel PKW. Whenever raised at the contract stage they soon back down to 1000PKW - I actually thought they only do it to barangs!. If they refuse I would walk away. I work from home mainly and enjoy aircon etc to see my monthly bill approx $70 double or triple with the majority off to the landlord would be a joke.

As has been mentioned by myself and Heng the only time you may pay more and i mean 1,200-1,500 is if your place has a generator to back up against the increasingly rare (compared to yesteryear_ power outs
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

cautious colin wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:07 am
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:03 am for the record, the official EDC rate in PP is now 750R/Kwh. Recently reduced from 770R.
I haven't had May/June yet but my last one was 720. Does it depend what district/commune you are in?
Dunno but that was my latest one, so maybe.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I had a problem with my landlord thinking that my electricity usage was too low. I wasn't using air-con. He changed the meter and the charge doubled. I called EDC and asked them to check it. They said "Does the meter belong to you?" I had to say no, so they said they couldn't help me. I changed flats.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

You can only go to EDC and pay by yourself if the apartment / room has it's own connection / meter from EDC. Even though EDC has lowered the price of the connections a few years ago a 10A connection (the smallest available at most places) will still set you back around 100 USD + wiring costs. If you have five rooms renting out that's 500 USD to make tenants' lifes more happy. Not really an encouragement to install separate meters IMHO.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:18 am You can only go to EDC and pay by yourself if the apartment / room has it's own connection / meter from EDC. Even though EDC has lowered the price of the connections a few years ago a 10A connection (the smallest available at most places) will still set you back around 100 USD + wiring costs. If you have five rooms renting out that's 500 USD to make tenants' lifes more happy. Not really an encouragement to install separate meters IMHO.
More like $50 to install but yes you are correct. Why shouldnt he have happy tenants? at the very least dont screw them by charging 1300 riel pkw more than he should. they do it as they can as they know nobody is complaining. At the end of the day the rate is the rate. maximum without generator is 1000riel. You negotiate that at the contract signing stage. if they want more walk away. It becomes a lot of money going to line the landlords pockets for nothing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic