Losing our house

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Losing our house

Post by Luigi »

Thats durian to crab market. Maybe I have wrong tires on my truck giving me an off reading.
Let's say 30 k conservatively.
Then only 185 KPH. or 110MPH.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Luigi wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:58 pm Thats durian to crab market. Maybe I have wrong tires on my truck giving me an off reading.
It's 18 km from when I leave my gate in Kep to the coffee shop at the old station in Kampot. So perfectly possible to do in less than 15 min if you follow the speed limits, 10 to 13 minutes during the day when the roads are empty and you can drive a little over limit (I timed it a lot of times cause I have to pick up visitors regularly that arrive with the bus in Kampot.) I'm not a crazy driver, only had a speeding ticket once in my life (and that was on the way from pp to siem reap).
Last edited by whiteribbon on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just noise, white noise
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

whiteribbon wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:27 pm
Luigi wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:08 pm Oh lordy;

''And if you have a car you are in Kampot in 10 minutes

Seriously? LMAO Try 45 minutes on am very good day.
?? I already live here a long time, I've never driven longer than 20 minutes to kampot and that was on a khmer holiday weekend or something, can usually do it in 10 to 13 minutes during a normal weekday. Don't know the times with a tuktuk or scooter but can't imagine it would ever be 45 minutes, I'm almost halfway to PP in that time!
Took me 40 mins on a moto, but I was being careful because the speedo on the rented bike didn't work, and I could have used some gloves for grip on the throttle. But even so I doubt it would have been less than 30 otherwise. Shingle/grit, potholes and stuff to contend with.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Just talked with my friend in Kampot, he says with a tuktuk it's only 20 to 30 minutes, I don't believe 45 minutes with a car is possible in any scenario.. Anyway, we are off topic i believe: Move to Kep, it's only between 10 and 45 minutes from Kampot!
just noise, white noise
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

....you can have a huge western style house with swimming pool and big garden for the price of a tiny house in shv
Calling you out on this...
western style with pool, http://kep-estate-properties.com/proper ... ian-house/ $450/night bit more than a small house in snv :facepalm:

from Kep beach to Kampot market takes me at least 20 minutes by car..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:04 pm
....you can have a huge western style house with swimming pool and big garden for the price of a tiny house in shv
western style with pool, http://kep-estate-properties.com/proper ... ian-house/ $450/night bit more than a small house in snv :facepalm:

Yes, that's a tourist price for a night in a house that's currently for sale for about a million $! When I rent out my current house the daily rate will also be about 150$ to 200$ but monthly rental is not comparable. Less work, hassle and bills with a monthly rental.
just noise, white noise
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Luigi wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:58 pm Thats durian to crab market. Maybe I have wrong tires on my truck giving me an off reading.
huh? its only 22km from the Durian to the Beach
Kampot to Kep on a 125 moto takes 20-30minutes driven it numerous times, takes only 10-15 in an SUV from my friends home just outside of town near Tuek Chhou
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

It's easy to see. Just look at that map.
Kampot to Kep is all downhill, so it should be faster going that way than returning....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Well you know PR I am calling you out on this, I know you live in Thailand and come once or twice a year to Cambodia which you think makes you some kinda expert on everything. but the OP just said he went to see a shitty small 2 bedroom hous in SHV $700, he then went to see another one which h thought would be less and that was $2,700 so yes a place in Kep at $450 is a heck of a lot cheaper.

The rents in SHV have skyrocketed over the last 12 months. Perhaps you are due another fact finding mission here to update your knowledge sir. :facepalm:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

angkorjohn wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 am

Well you know PR I am calling you out on this, I know you live in Thailand and come once or twice a year to Cambodia which you think makes you some kinda expert on everything. but the OP just said he went to see a shitty small 2 bedroom hous in SHV $700, he then went to see another one which h thought would be less and that was $2,700 so yes a place in Kep at $450 is a heck of a lot cheaper.

The rents in SHV have skyrocketed over the last 12 months. Perhaps you are due another fact finding mission here to update your knowledge sir. :facepalm:
OK?? I am NOT an expert, nor would ever think to say i was one..... but I do spend time in Kep, ( an have since 2006) own land there and gf has family there Plus her uncle sells land..

Learn to read,
...$450/night, bit more than a small house in snv
heading back next month to Kep
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic