5 things Nigeria is best known for around the world

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Jimmy Crow
Expatriate
United States of America

5 things Nigeria is best known for around the world

Post by Jimmy Crow »

What comes to mind when you hear ‘Nigeria’?

One in every five African is Nigerian; that is how large and populated Nigeria is. It is not just Africa’s most populous nation, but also Africa’s most popular nation. To some people in the west, every African is a Nigerian, one can hardly fault them; Nigerians are all around the globe, inscribing their names on the map of every continent. But what is the country most famous for across the globe?

Oil – The number one thing Africa’s giant is most famous for is petroleum. When you think oil, you think Nigeria. Nigeria remains Africa’s largest oil producer, though the country went from being 10th to 12th largest producer of oil in the world. Oil plays a major role in the country’s economy, accounting for about 70 percent of government revenue and 95 percent of foreign exchange income.

The city of Lagos – Renowned as Africa’s big apple, Lagos is an economic focal point, an industrial hub and a commercial powerhouse to not just Nigerians, but to the world. The city of Lagos is Nigeria’s most cosmopolitan city and a melting pot of a variety of culture – African, Asian and European – with a diverse and large number of American, European, Asian, and Lebanese expatriates who live in, and juggle businesses in and out of the country.

Terrorism (Boko Haram) – Unfortunately, not everything the country is known for is positive. The prevalence of the terrorist sect Boko Haram has placed the country at the centre of the international media, making the country even more famous than its oil. The result of search engines when ‘Nigeria’ is typed is proof of this. Whether the Nigerian people like it or not, the name ‘Nigeria’ is now synonymous with terrorism.

Corruption – Although corruption is a widespread phenomenon that is not only peculiar to just Nigeria, it is a pandemic in the country that every elected leader has promised to eradicate yet failed to. But with the current administration, Nigerians have renewed hope for a corrupt free state. President Buhari has given a new definition to corruption, and vowed to eradicate it. Hopefully at the end of his tenure, corruption will seize to be on this list.

Entertainment – America has Hollywood, India has Bollywood and Nigeria has Nollywood. The Nigerian film industry has grown to become the second largest in the world in terms of the number of movies produced annually, placing it ahead of Hollywood and behind Bollywood. Nigerian actors and producers like Omotola Jalade Ekeinde, and Kunle Afolayan have also made their mark in the international scene. The Nigerian music industry also pulls its weight in the international scene, with quite a number of international collaborations and recognition.
Everyone is equal. Everyone has a place. No one is written off, because there is worth and goodness in every life... That is the Republican ideal. And if we won't defend it, who will?
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 5 things Nigeria is best known for around the world

Post by zmth »

Scammers is also best known and at least my bank USAA and another brokerage won't even allow one to transfer money to any account of anyone in Nigeria
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Music ! Fela Kuti :rave:
JohnLeonard
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by JohnLeonard »

zmth wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:29 am Scammers is also best known and at least my bank USAA and another brokerage won't even allow one to transfer money to any account of anyone in Nigeria
Some countries were they use to get free Visa wavers are no longer accepting them, i once worked in Hotel and there was a Nigerian guy who use to spend big money in the hotel and he was banned from there on the suspicious that he was scammer although there was no prove but the indications were there.
Cat playing her favorite game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD7_GRm4xR8
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I worked in Lagos for 5 years in charge of finance for an oil company, unfortunately you have to start from the standpoint that everyone is out to scam you to some degree or other from the top to the bottom and anticipate and negate all possible angles. It might be your corporate bank holding onto a client remittance of millions of dollars for a few days to pocket some interest right down to low level employee theft. Not a very nice way to live life and I definately felt it slowly but surely negatively affected me. Luckily I gave East Africa a chance after that and found it a breath of fresh air in terms of a less aggressive and much more friendly working and living environment.

It was never boring and I do have a soft spot for the continent, glad I experienced it.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Captain Bonez wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:47 pm Image
Never touched the Guiness brewed there, I thunk their biggest in the world, it was brewed to African strength and severe head banging stuff not that Gulder or Star was much better. The strength used to vary on occasion depending on the availability of bottles.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I was waiting for a Western Union transfer one day and listened to a Nigerian man trying to make a legitimate transaction - he was treated really badly, and I felt very sorry for him.

Later in the week I walked into One&One and saw the same guy with a couple of mates actively intimidating the female staff, and stepped in to help as Mrs Stroppy and I have quite a good relationship with the staff. By then my thoughts were, "Karma, Prince", which wasn't very charitable of me.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

They are also known for floating down the Mekong River with their hands and feet bound, with a bag over their heads.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic