Why I do not feel any guilt being rich

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Why I do not feel any guilt being rich

Post by taabarang »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:23 am
taabarang wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:02 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 pm Don’t understand about the OP’s original posting but I do get annoyed by Khmer who always ask for money for some shiny bauble or hair brained idea. It’s always a must have now. Some Khmer just have no idea of savings or budgeting or any financial sense whatsoever.
If Cambodians ask for money you can always just say no, don't you?

And about the concept of savings - Cambodians are very aware of that but they just have a different concept than you. Ever noticed the amount of gold the average Cambodian is carrying around? Those are their savings.
For rural Khmer it could be a herd of cattle. In my village they are viewed as a walking savings account.
Indeed, the problem is those won't last that long and keeping them is quite risky. My wife's mother lost a cow the other week, was like a bank collapsing for her. 20% of her savings gone overnight.

Agreed, farming is full of risks everywhere in the world. What weather doesn't ravage, disease and/or a lackadaisical attitude will. In any event the farmers in my village are dirt poor. The only possible solution is diversification and even if they break even they're ahead of the game. They're laid back and ballsy and have my respect.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

taabarang wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:36 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:23 am
taabarang wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:02 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 pm Don’t understand about the OP’s original posting but I do get annoyed by Khmer who always ask for money for some shiny bauble or hair brained idea. It’s always a must have now. Some Khmer just have no idea of savings or budgeting or any financial sense whatsoever.
If Cambodians ask for money you can always just say no, don't you?

And about the concept of savings - Cambodians are very aware of that but they just have a different concept than you. Ever noticed the amount of gold the average Cambodian is carrying around? Those are their savings.
For rural Khmer it could be a herd of cattle. In my village they are viewed as a walking savings account.
Indeed, the problem is those won't last that long and keeping them is quite risky. My wife's mother lost a cow the other week, was like a bank collapsing for her. 20% of her savings gone overnight.

Agreed, farming is full of risks everywhere in the world. What weather doesn't ravage, disease and/or a lackadaisical attitude will. In any event the farmers in my village are dirt poor. The only possible solution is diversification and even if they break even they're ahead of the game. They're laid back and ballsy and have my respect.
and land, land is their saving account too
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Jimmy Crow wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 am First off I never flaunt my wealth. I just want to be treated like everyone else but people just use me to pay for things. If I do not want to, then I am seen as an asshole. As I got older, I have found that people less fortunate of me will ask me for money as a way for abating my feelings of ashamed for being rich. Just because I do not want to give you money for your health problem or buy your child a pair of shoes does not make me a selfish prick. Sorry you are poor, but that is not something I am responsible for fixing. In fact, I have found that poor people are some of the most selfish people ever. I enjoy my wealth and do not flaunt it. I would love to help people but can't because they are just looking for an ATM.

So to all the broke and far from rich and wealthy people out there on this forum and in the world,maybe in the next life you will be rich so work hard.
I'm guessing you feel no guilt as you are a complete fantasist, it's hard to attach feelings to made up stories.

Just ask your "friend"
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

angkorjohn wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 am
Jimmy Crow wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 am First off I never flaunt my wealth. I just want to be treated like everyone else but people just use me to pay for things. If I do not want to, then I am seen as an asshole. As I got older, I have found that people less fortunate of me will ask me for money as a way for abating my feelings of ashamed for being rich. Just because I do not want to give you money for your health problem or buy your child a pair of shoes does not make me a selfish prick. Sorry you are poor, but that is not something I am responsible for fixing. In fact, I have found that poor people are some of the most selfish people ever. I enjoy my wealth and do not flaunt it. I would love to help people but can't because they are just looking for an ATM.

So to all the broke and far from rich and wealthy people out there on this forum and in the world,maybe in the next life you will be rich so work hard.
I'm guessing you feel no guilt as you are a complete fantasist, it's hard to attach feelings to made up stories.

Just ask your "friend"
Of course he is. Truly rich people do not need to post about it on an expat forum. Would be interesting what the OP considers being rich means? Not wait for Happy Hour to get that 50-Cent beer?
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

hanno wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:02 am
angkorjohn wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 am

Just ask your "friend"
Of course he is. Truly rich people do not need to post about it on an expat forum. Would be interesting what the OP considers being rich means? Not wait for Happy Hour to get that 50-Cent beer?
In that case I'm still a dreamer Hanno, one day I'll make it rich :beer1: like Jimmy Crow
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Their land is indeed valuable, but generally they avoid selling it to keep it in the family or it doesn't get confiscated due to its value.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Rich is having enough to eat and have a reasonable life. Some people are rich in money but poor in quality of life.

I see Khmer people with fuck all but still have a smile and a cuddle for their kids. In some ways they are richer than some "wealthy" expats in KoW . =@
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

bangkokhooker wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:22 am
Jimmy Crow wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:32 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 am
Jimmy Crow wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 am Just because I do not want to ...... buy your child a pair of shoes...
You just know someone is wealthy when they cite buying a pair of shoes for a child as evidence of their superior financial standing.
My car has an umbrella in the door.guess which car?
nissan sunny/pulsar (90/94, two door hatch)
actually it was only the grey market pulsar that had the umbrella not the officially imported sunny,into the uk anyway.which is odd!
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

I have 2 million riels KHR. I'm millionaire also. I dont go around bragging about it :Yahoo!:
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

From my limited experience, I have learned that only wannabes and nouveau riche advertise their wealth.

Secondly, many people are delusional about what constitutes real wealth.

Thirdly, being rich is, in itself, not good or bad.

Only simpletons do not understand that is the WAY in which one got 'rich' that determines whether it is good or bad.

'Tis the season to be jolly, troll lalala lalalala
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic