HOW to spot a fake Rolex

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: HOW to spot a fake Rolex

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Each to their own and if you’ve worked hard to earn your money its yours to do with it as you see fit. I’ve personally never really understood the concept of paying out for an expensive watch that needs expensive regular servicing, a bit like Leica camera equipment versus more mainstream brands. If its quality manufactured the thing should keep the correct time and be reliable in my view, I couldnt be doing with the hassle a couple of mates do traipsing up to Bangkok to get their watches serviced, what a pain in the arse. I gave up wearing a watch here and just use my phone to check now.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Casio. $5 better timekeeper than $500 Bulova Accutron. Fact.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

I don't get it.
Of course a cheap quartz is better to just tell the time, and people currently using their phone could get a casio to realize again how convenient it is just ... there, especially when you're in or on a vehicle.
But the point of an expensive watch is that it's jewellery.
You wouldn't go to a black-tie dinner in a wife-beater ...
... uh, never mind.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

How many times do you think the average poster on here goes to a black tie dinner?

But let's say you go once a month...you're going to layout $10K so that some guy you never met before approves of you jewellery?

You're a guy, right? ;)

Seriously, loads of decent watches, nice-looking, genuine solid brand ones available for under $200

The only reason is for investment, and then you should up it a bit and go for Patek Philippe or similar brands
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

that genius wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:39 am How many times do you think the average poster on here goes to a black tie dinner?

But let's say you go once a month...you're going to layout $10K so that some guy you never met before approves of you jewellery?

You're a guy, right? ;)

Seriously, loads of decent watches, nice-looking, genuine solid brand ones available for under $200

The only reason is for investment, and then you should up it a bit and go for Patek Philippe or similar brands

I don’t think anyone ever buys a watch for other people and I don’t think you need to be going to black tie events to wear one.

Difference is, in a “first world” capital city you could walk into any pub and someone would be wearing an +$5k watch. Out here is it much rarer as it is only the elite that have them

I agree with the investment part, if you know what you are doing you can end up making a decent amount on watches.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

20 years ago when I was flush with cash, I had an antique full Hunter gold pocket watch. It was a beautiful timepiece, chiming out the hours and quarters. It cost me 16,000 quid from a bespoke jewelry shop in London, who promised to buy it back from me for the same price, if I ever wanted to sell it.

The years went by and I fell on hard times. I was in London and went back to that same jewelry shop to sell the watch. He offered me 3,000 fcuking quid, not a penny more!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic