Herb quality in the K.O.W

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Herb quality in the K.O.W

Post by bittermelon »

The coriander's ok though hard to find, the Vietnamese mint (baan- chow?) is great and plentiful, but in the year or so i have spent there I have never managed to find any of that other herb that i would rate at more than 3.5/10 (and even the 3.5 was something of a find). I'm not expecting perfection, if I could find a "5" I would be over the moon. Any suggestions? Please, I am not seeking details of specific providers.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Herb quality in the K.O.W

Post by chkwoot »

Go to some of the "foodie" friendly bars around town. Find and ask other "baking" aficionados. The irl grapevine is still the best (but slowest and most difficult) way to find just about anything here. Also, what you rate as a 3 might be an 8 to someone who has been living here for awhile. In my experience, some of the best "locally" grown "spices" come from Lao, or so I've been told.

If you really want real basil, there is a guy growing and selling 2 types of real basil. Really. It's just basil. No quotation marks. My spidey senses tell me that you don't want basil, but I could be wrong. I'm old and decrepit.

Just be on the lookout for Drone Cows! Luckily they're not stealth yet!
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I grow my own, easy enough.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Thanks for the suggestion chkwoot. Wasn't meaning basil but I am a fan of basil as well. Hanno, that would be the ideal but I'm not well placed for that. If i don't have some luck soon I'll have to give up beer too. Maybe sounds strange but that herb allows me to drink very moderately.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i think @rozzieoz recently might have bought some herbs for her balcony garden, she might be able to help
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Thanks for that suggestion Jamie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic