HOW to spot a fake Rolex

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: HOW to spot a fake Rolex

Post by yong »

bolueeleh wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Brody wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:17 pm Re: HOW to spot a fake Rolex:

The outstretched hand, holding the proffered Rolex, is attached to a smiling Indian gentleman with at fabulously lush mustache.
here in ASEAN its more like a scrunchy dude with tattered baseball cap and flip flops carrying a homemade cigar box like wooden case :beer3: :beer3: :beer3:
I noticed when I go to Singapore some toilet cleaners and airport trolley handlers sporting genuine Rolexes.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

John Bingham wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:28 pm
cautious colin wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:58 am Would people genuinely feel comfortable wearing a Rolex (or other expensive watch) in Cambodia?
I know plenty of people, both foreigners and locals who do. They are a very common status symbol for the wealthy.
I suppose it kind of depends on where you’re drinking/ out etc.

In London/ New York I feel more comfortable as if going through a bit of a dodgy area you can always cover up under a shirt, jumper. Here it’s a bit harder to cover up.

Also, it’s worth more than most people earn in a number of years here.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Brody wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:33 pm
bolueeleh wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:22 pm here in ASEAN its more like a scrunchy dude with tattered baseball cap and flip flops carrying a homemade cigar box like wooden case :beer3: :beer3: :beer3:

I guess you haven't enjoyed an early evening meal on riverside lately.

Three of my last five dinners included a sudden encounter with a nattily dressed and quite dashing Indian fellow with a fist-full if timepieces.
or maybe i have a "dont come near me or i will fucking kill u" look or maybe just becoz im asian :beer3:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Jimmy Crow
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jimmy Crow »

The only true way to know is the serial Number and certificate which comes with the original timepiece.

70% of Brits can't tell the difference between a real and fake Rolex, according to a new survey by jeweller William May.
Everyone is equal. Everyone has a place. No one is written off, because there is worth and goodness in every life... That is the Republican ideal. And if we won't defend it, who will?
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

IMHO, Rolex watches are ugly and remind me of the 'it does everything' watch that I wore when I was a kid.
lipservice
Expatriate

Post by lipservice »

I purchased a heap of Rolex watches to take home as gifts to my workmates.
The deal was, whose watch lasts the longest wins a cartoooon of beer.
The smartest arse stuck his watch in his sock and undies drawer then .....
he won the cartooon :)
Three weeks was all it took to win the cartoooon :)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I once bought Mrs Stroppy an expensive fake Tag Hauer from a dodgy website ... when it was time to get a new battery, none of the usual jewelers would touch it, claiming it was real. Sure enough, it was real.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jimmy Crow wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:09 pm The only true way to know is the serial Number and certificate which comes with the original timepiece.

70% of Brits can't tell the difference between a real and fake Rolex, according to a new survey by jeweller William May.
How did other nationalities match up to that survey, or was it only Brits tested?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Jimmy Crow wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:09 pm The only true way to know is the serial Number and certificate which comes with the original timepiece.

I’d imagine 70% of Brits couldn’t give a fuck about Rolexes either
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

cautious colin wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:24 pm

I’d imagine 70% of Brits couldn’t give afford Rolexes either
FTFY. Why care if it' s overpriced shit and you can't afford one?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic