Kampot Opens First Hostess Bar "Sweet Pallet" & Belinda Laidlaw Threatened with $50,000 Defamation Suit

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Kampot Opens First Hostess Bar "Sweet Pallet" & Belinda Laidlaw Threatened with $50,000 Defamation Suit

Post by cannabistourist »

The problem with these white biaches, is when we see the feet, they are big like swim flippers :-)
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Kampot Opens First Hostess Bar "Sweet Pallet" & Belinda Laidlaw Threatened with $50,000 Defamation Suit

Post by kiwiincambodia »

John Bingham wrote:Is this the notorious Belinda Laidlaw? I'm surprised if it is, I'm not sure what type of image she is trying to project but I have to say I like it....

...but then again crazy cat ladies are not my thing.
newtons3rd
Tourist
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by newtons3rd »

This is a copy of a letter I've sent to Ms. Laidlaw's organisation; Friends International

I presume that you are aware that, recently, a volunteer with your organisation, Ms. Laidlaw, publicly accused a young, female, Cambodian bar owner of being a pimp and exploiting the women who work in the bar. She “threatened” to get her organisation to look into it.
Is Ms. Laidlaw representative of your volunteer body? Does she represent your organizational ethos? That this woman is profoundly prejudiced, profoundly ignorant and disturbingly arrogant is obvious but did nobody talk to her about simple manners? She is a guest, like all barang, in the House of Khmer; it is certainly not within her gift to publicly vilify her hosts.
Her behavior, in any circumstance, would be intolerable but that she considers herself qualified to judge the bar owner and by extension, the women who work there – all women who have to endure hardship and uncertainty that the pampered, privileged Ms. Laidlaw cannot even imagine – is indicative of a person seriously disconnected from reality.
“Friends International”. If that is indicative of your organizational goals here in Cambodia, I suggest you re-evaluate your volunteer induction process. I further suggest that induction include a section on the essential role of prostitution in family survival.
While there are some in Kampot who would share Ms. Laidlaw’s colonialist views and attitudes, there is a large section of the Expat community who were horrified by her actions; they feel, as I do, that your organisation needs to publicly apologise to the bar owner and her staff and disassociate from her “threat” of interference. Finally, I recommend that Ms. Laidlaw is only allowed out under strict supervision.
Jim Kelly
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

She was fired already.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I don't want to live in a country that kills and steals pets
Surely she means 'steals and kills pets' ?

Or are people going round killing pets, and then running off with their dead bodies? (Perhaps so...)
You've got to admit she's got balls to dress in a skimpy outfit like that.
Her knickers are quite tight, and I see no balls...
Stramash23
Expatriate

Post by Stramash23 »

newtons3rd wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:48 pm This is a copy of a letter I've sent to Ms. Laidlaw's organisation; Friends International

I presume that you are aware that, recently, a volunteer with your organisation, Ms. Laidlaw, publicly accused a young, female, Cambodian bar owner of being a pimp and exploiting the women who work in the bar. She “threatened” to get her organisation to look into it.
Is Ms. Laidlaw representative of your volunteer body? Does she represent your organizational ethos? That this woman is profoundly prejudiced, profoundly ignorant and disturbingly arrogant is obvious but did nobody talk to her about simple manners? She is a guest, like all barang, in the House of Khmer; it is certainly not within her gift to publicly vilify her hosts.
Her behavior, in any circumstance, would be intolerable but that she considers herself qualified to judge the bar owner and by extension, the women who work there – all women who have to endure hardship and uncertainty that the pampered, privileged Ms. Laidlaw cannot even imagine – is indicative of a person seriously disconnected from reality.
“Friends International”. If that is indicative of your organizational goals here in Cambodia, I suggest you re-evaluate your volunteer induction process. I further suggest that induction include a section on the essential role of prostitution in family survival.
While there are some in Kampot who would share Ms. Laidlaw’s colonialist views and attitudes, there is a large section of the Expat community who were horrified by her actions; they feel, as I do, that your organisation needs to publicly apologise to the bar owner and her staff and disassociate from her “threat” of interference. Finally, I recommend that Ms. Laidlaw is only allowed out under strict supervision.
Jim Kelly
Do keep up, old news and FI dropped her like a hot brick as soon as they found out
Too weird to live, too rare to die
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Sorta on topic, I thought there was a hostess bar in Kampot some years ago. It was opened and run by Sarina who originally owned Sugar Shack, then sold and moved down there. This would have been more than ten years ago.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
newtons3rd
Tourist
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by newtons3rd »

I'm pleased to hear that Laidlaw is gone; that was the intention of sending that letter to FI. The purpose of posting it here was to show support for the people at Sweet Palette and to encourage any others who are considering opening "hostess bars" here.
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AmericanSteve »

I'm pleased to hear that Laidlaw is gone; that was the intention of sending that letter to FI. The purpose of posting it here was to show support for the people at Sweet Palette and to encourage any others who are considering opening "hostess bars" here.
How much does it cost to open a hostess bar in Kampot?
To gladly teach and gladly learn.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

AmericanSteve wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:58 am
How much does it cost to open a hostess bar in Kampot?
Depends on how much pallets you need i guess...
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic