Red Wine in Cambodia

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Red Wine in Cambodia

Post by that genius »

yong wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:31 pmIf outside I may have to find a joint I am familiar with and the owner trust me, we will serve me wine or beer or alcohol in teacups (non-transparent) and I will have to pay him cash as it should not be in the register. Hate this pretentious crap.
1. Send therapist to wine shop to buy wine and ice packs

2. Place wine and ice packs in cooler box boot of car. Therapist may remain in front seat, best placed for therapy

3. Pull into lay-by, apply red wine in liberal amounts while receiving therapy to maximise effect

Get therapist to drive you home and tuck you in
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

bolueeleh wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:38 pm
yong wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:31 pm
So for me tomorrow if I wanna drink I will have to drink at home.

If outside I may have to find a joint I am familiar with and the owner trust me, we will serve me wine or beer or alcohol in teacups (non-transparent) and I will have to pay him cash as it should not be in the register. Hate this pretentious crap.
cannot go to high end hotel?
Entire country no alcohol for sale. By the way all massage parlors (happen ending type) close too
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

that genius wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:01 pm
yong wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:31 pmIf outside I may have to find a joint I am familiar with and the owner trust me, we will serve me wine or beer or alcohol in teacups (non-transparent) and I will have to pay him cash as it should not be in the register. Hate this pretentious crap.
1. Send therapist to wine shop to buy wine and ice packs

2. Place wine and ice packs in cooler box boot of car. Therapist may remain in front seat, best placed for therapy

3. Pull into lay-by, apply red wine in liberal amounts while receiving therapy to maximise effect

Get therapist to drive you home and tuck you in
You do have a wild and arousing imagination. For the last part I’d rather I go back with therapist for second round. hehehehehe
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

rogue19 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:25 pm I would love to start a topic on Red Wine.
Its seems to be everywhere these days, but the quality is less than ideal here in Cambodia.
Looking for direction.
Good wine can be found all over Cambodia. The problem is most places lack proper storage for it and temperature fluctuations can kill a wine. Even if you find a place that keeps some of its wines in proper wine refrigerators, you have no idea how long it sat on a hot palette someplace before delivery. For this reason it does not make much sense to buy expensive wine here ... it is risky.

Any wine I have had here for under $10 tasted like pure rot gut. On the other hand, I think anything over $25 here borders on conspicuous consumption here (buy for show). Buy in the $10 to $25 range and you can find a lot of quality here. It will be a matter of taste --- Apothic and Barefoot are a couple American red wines I prefer ---- and Spanish Riojas and Temperanillos never disappoint in this price range. There are plenty of Australian wines here too but they tend to be a bit overpriced IMHO. There are tons of French wines available but you have to know what you are buying. For a country that has such a reputation for wine they seem to drop a lot of trash product into export markets.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Wine Cambodia, contact Jez Chea on Facebook, or Cristina Monfil for Spanish red wine, also FB
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Around two months ago we got one post from the op
rogue19 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:25 pm I would love to start a topic on Red Wine.
Its seems to be everywhere these days, but the quality is less than ideal here in Cambodia.
Looking for direction.
We also got an introduction:
rogue19 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:50 am Hello, I am new in town and would like to garner some help in finding my way around. Specifically interested in fine dining. I would love to find an establishment with a wide range of red wines for myself and companion. I would like to start a topic on this as well at a later date if possible. Thanks and #ENJOY!
He wanted to start a topic on red wine, he got a few takers but made no response, just silence! Was he trolling? Did he change his mind, and decide to live in Bordeaux or just die? :D
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:22 pm Around two months ago we got one post from the op
Looking for direction.
We also got an introduction:
rogue19 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:50 am Hello, I am new in town and would like to garner some help in finding my way around. Specifically interested in fine dining. I would love to find an establishment with a wide range of red wines for myself and companion. I would like to start a topic on this as well at a later date if possible. Thanks and #ENJOY!
He wanted to start a topic on red wine, he got a few takers but made no response, just silence! Was he trolling? Did he change his mind, and decide to live in Bordeaux or just die? :D
yea -- it is still a good topic regardless of op's intentions
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

All under $10 from a Kampot supermarket - never had a bad one

Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

There is a wine and liquor store on a street that runs 2 or 3 streets parallel to the rail station. Sorry, I do not know the name. I go there on the bike and only know it by eye. I do not know street name.. They sell imported wines and liquors from around the world. Damn good prices too.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 pm There is a wine and liquor store on a street that runs 2 or 3 streets parallel to the rail station. Sorry, I do not know the name. I go there on the bike and only know it by eye. I do not know street name.. They sell imported wines and liquors from around the world. Damn good prices too.
Parallel where? to the north? west?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic