Red Wine in Cambodia

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
rogue19
Tourist
United States of America

Red Wine in Cambodia

Post by rogue19 »

I would love to start a topic on Red Wine.
Its seems to be everywhere these days, but the quality is less than ideal here in Cambodia.
Looking for direction.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Red Wine in Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

Do you mean you can't get anything good, or you're not willing to pay what it costs for good wine?

I'm not judging. I rarely go over $7 for a bottle of red wine here.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

rogue19 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:25 pm I would love to start a topic on Red Wine.
Its seems to be everywhere these days, but the quality is less than ideal here in Cambodia.
Looking for direction.
There are plenty of top quality wines for sale here in Cambodia, there are a lot of excellent Bordeaux's at very good prices here in Phnom Penh. Bouchon has arguably the best range for good French wines. There are also many wine shops here, but The Warehouse, Red Apron, Thai Huat and Bayon Market are good places to start. With the increasing popularity of wine, there are of course a lot of cheap bars peddling Maipo which is cheap, sub optimal and best avoided.
lipservice
Expatriate

Post by lipservice »

Seven bucks a bottle... lol... must be drinking friends with Vlad. :stir:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Mods :wave:
Maybe move this thread to the Getting Your Fill forum, so we have a wine thread there that we can add to when someone has a good (or bad) wine experience ?
lipservice
Expatriate

Post by lipservice »

and another on cheap vinegar ?? :facepalm:
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I don't know anything about wine, but I like Yellow Tail Shiraz. To the educated palate it might be like drain cleaner for all I know.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The problem with red wine in Cambodia is the temperature. "Room temperature" is far too hot, so you have to refrigerate it.
Putting red wine, especially good wine, in the fridge always seems like blasphemy. :whip: But what can you do ?

I know this is a red wine thread, but does anyone have recommendations for a decent rose in a medium price range ?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:40 pm The problem with red wine in Cambodia is the temperature. "Room temperature" is far too hot, so you have to refrigerate it.
Putting red wine, especially good wine, in the fridge always seems like blasphemy. :whip: But what can you do ?
The decent bars in Phnom Penh have wine fridges and keep the wines at the correct temperature, which for reds should be 13-18c. Bouchon have a number of wine fridges and keep the reds around 16c, once opened and left for a while is ok. The good wine shops also have cool rooms for there stock. All my wines at home are refrigerated, probably to around 12-13c, once I open and leave them out for about an hour they come up to the right temp of around 18c. Don't think cooling wine is blasphemy as the room temperature referred to is that of Northern France, not the tropics.If you buy a good bottle it is better to keep it cool than let it hang around at 35c or so.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:40 pm The problem with red wine in Cambodia is the temperature. "Room temperature" is far too hot, so you have to refrigerate it.

I know this is a red wine thread, but does anyone have recommendations for a decent rose in a medium price range ?
I could not agree with you more Sir, room temperature is how red wine is stored and then served. But here, no way. So, in the fridge it goes. For the whites that is perfect.
That is probably the answer! Take the bottle from the fridge, then If having a thermometer serve at the correct temperature. Perfect drinking temperature for Red Wines: 12˚C to 18˚C
I am also happily surprised on the excellent choices of wines that are to be found and purchased in Cambodia.
I myself prefer a good red French wine. Some types are available here in KK, with a selection of others. For serving in the bar. I buy the box that keeps costs down for me and the customer. $2 for a good-sized glass.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic